hf1

What would you add to this?

My avatar
lizzibeff
Clothie
Clothie

What would you add to this?

Postby lizzibeff » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:24 pm

First bub is due in 8 weeks and I have the beginnings of a stash and some ideas of what to buy next. My question is, what am i missing or what else would you buy?

I have:

Nappies
5 x Tots Bots Bamboozle fitteds with snaps size 1 - preloved
2 x Tots Bots Bamboozle fitteds size 1 (nippa fastening) - preloved
4 x MC Smart Nappy newborn size microfibre pads
4 x home sewn cotton terry boosters to fit smart nappy wraps
4 x MC Smart Nappy small/medium size microfibre pads
2 x home sewn cotton terry boosters to fit small Smart Nappy wraps
1 x Pocket ebay cheapy cow print minky with microfibre booster

Wraps
2 x MC Smart Nappy newborn wraps
2 x MC Smart Nappy small wraps

want to buy/make
1 x BG Flip + 2 stay dry and 2 organic cotton inserts
1 x Thirsties Duo Wrap
6 x prefolds for use with Thirsties or wool wrap
6 x Muslins (for flat folding with an added booster) under wool
selection of home sewn microfibre, cotton terry and bamboo terry boosters
1 x handknitted and felted small wool wrap

Now that i look at it, this seems like a lot! But i wanted to make sure i had a little bit of everything so i could work out what i liked. I also want to save money wherever possible as we're a little cash strapped (hence home sewing). I haven't gone for many AIOs or Pockets because they seem expensive and look big for a little newborn.

What do we think? Anything else i should add as a "must"?

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: What would you add to this?

Postby lazylexis » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:32 pm

I would make sure u have at least 5or 6 small or xs small wraps.We found motherease rikki small were great. It also depends on how often u are planning on washing.To wash every other day you'll probably need 25 nappies.So gar my newborn stash consists of swaddlebees velour newborn, motherease sandys small and xs in bamboo as more absorbent than cotton, diddy diapers, nature babies loveables and easy peasy bimbles. Wraps we have 8- motherease and thirsties.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:35 pm

I am not keen on the feel of microfibre tho. Once baby is a little bigger we'll be using little lamb size 1s as I found our son was outweeing most newborn nappies within a few weeks.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:41 pm

I would get some newborn size nappies, bamboozles would have been far too big on our 3rd when she was born x

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:17 pm

I'd wait and see birth weight I bought loads of newborn nappies that never even fitted DD at 10.1lbs
I'd get ME air flow wraps a bit baggy but bomb proof IMO.
If you get on with flips the organic inserts are slot more absorbent. But I still use my bambino mio prefolds in flip wraps. I made some nappy socks to hold them folded, it's gives a stay dry feeling and acts as a liner all in one. You can buy them bum genius make them.
Diddy diapers are a nice cheap fitted and they are line in jersey cotton so even if they get a bit rough from air drying they stay soft against baby's skin.

My avatar
lizzibeff
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lizzibeff » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks Kimmy, can you explain the nappy sock idea a bit more? I'm intrigued. I'm guessing they're like a fleecey pouch that you stick the prefold in?

Luckily I had a scan quite late (last week in fact) and the baby is on course to be around the mid 7lb range. I also have two more scans before the due date so I can keep tabs on the size :D

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:34 pm

Yeah DS was 7 bang on and she was predicted to be 8,4 I think I guess she was breathing in or the sonography knew I would have bottled out of a water birth.
It is pretty much exactly as you said they are a long thin pocket with a little fold over lip at the top similar to a pillow case :giggle:
You can make them out if several thing I did mine out if micro fleece but minkee would be super cute too.
If you google bum genius insert sock it should come up. I also use it to use prefolds in other wraps such as te new WN wrap ect. But the wraps do have to be a little bit more fitted

My avatar
lizzibeff
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lizzibeff » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:38 pm

Good to know! Obviously bub will only stay on track to be mid-sevens as long as my blood sugar stays normal and i'm careful to eat healthily :P

I think I'll get a few packs of pre-folds and some more wraps and then bulk the rest of the stash up when bub gets here. I like to be prepared but there's so much choice and I'm worried about getting it wrong!

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:46 pm

I had my last scan at 39 weeks so I'm really jot sure what happened but I was pretty funny we had to cut the feet of her babygrow as I didn't have any 0-3 stuff packed. Typical with DD I did have and he was little :roll:
My DH was 14lbs at birth so I still concider myself lucky :giggle:
I would try a Itti bitti SIO as you move along. Fitted's are much more reliable but itti's are ao trim. Clothing can be an issue more so with my DS as jeans were a struggle to get over a big fluffy bum when he started crawling and I ended up getting C4C clothing which is fab but worked out v. expensive.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat