Nappies for a newborn

My avatar
moonfruit
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Nappies for a newborn

Postby moonfruit » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I am relatively new to cloth, but have started with older babies/ toddlers and have always used disposable nappies when they were tiny.

I have a feeling number 6 :oops: may be on the way and would like to start out as I mean to go on. I have been told muslins are a good with a newborn but am open to suggestions. What would you all suggest? The baby will be formula fed (had a boob reduction at 18 so can't breastfeed!)

Also have any of you used cloth in hospital? How supportive (or not) were the staff?

Thanking you all in advance, Lisa

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Re: Nappies for a newborn

Postby Soupdragon » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:07 pm

AnnetteandBen and I have posted in the Newborn Modern Cloth Nappy Reviews section, here: viewforum.php?f=47

I never got to grips with muslins myself - too much like origami! I did take cloth to the hospital (our community midwife was fine about it), but I never got to use it as Iris ended up in the SCBU. At that point I had more important things to worry about then what was on her bum, so we didn't get her in cloth until day 6.

Of our stash, my fave cloth nappy for containment (Iris is breastfed) is our bamboo Sandy's nappy - although it's not the prettiest out there, it is quite slim fitting and never leaks.

Congrats on #6! :)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:42 pm

Just moved this into the cloth nappy chat bit...

Congrats on number 6!!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:40 pm

My faves in the beginning were bamboo Little Lambs. I also used small fuzzi, although these wouldn't last as long as the LL. I quickly moved away from 2 parts though and pretty much exclusively use onesize (Bumgenius was the surprise one for me, I liked it alot more than I thought I would on a small baby) and medium pockets in the day and 2 parts with wool at night, so I wouldn't buy too many small nappies.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:42 pm

Hey, personally I wouldn't bother with muslins, I used fuzzi bunz (S and XS) blueberry OS and bumgenius from birth, I also has some 40cm bamboo squares, and swaddlebees NB OV (though these are expensive for how long they last, I got mine preloved, and would be annoyed if I'd paid full price for them) Summer is only 6 weeks old and I've already moved on to prettier nappies, she only uses blueberries, WN OS, and swaddlebees now, the bumgenius are saved for night time! Birth to potty nappies are a good way to go if you can cope with the bulk when they're tiny, I used bumbles, bamboo beehinds, and WN OS on both y 38lb toddler and 8lb baby!

CONGRATS!!

OH and my hospital are pushing cloth nappies, so they provide them for your stay and wash them so I'm not much help there, if you OH will take them home and wash them then go 4 it!!

Shameless plug, I have lots of things in the for sale sect, inc fuzzis, bumbles, NB swaddlebees, and bamboo beehinds!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:04 pm

Yeap we loved cloth from birth and looking back I wonder how tiny he must have been to fit into size 0 nappies. Congrats of number 6 :wine:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:13 am

forgot to say that I didn't use nappies in hospital for Charlotte but I am sure it wouldn't have been a problem as long as you have someone to take them home and launder them (depending on how long you are there). Just make sure you have a nice big wet bag - the Swaddlebees one from Babykind is good. With Ben I didn't stay but he left in a cloth nappy :D

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:18 am

Congratulations on number 6! :wine:

Katie wore cloth from birth. Like Annette we were only in hospital for a few hours after the birth anyway. My MW thought the cloth nappies were so cute! We used swaddlebees OV Newborn, bambeasies, bimbles, diddy diapers, sandys and WN and a few bamboo squares. I did buy some muslins with the intention of using them as nappies but never did.

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:13 am

We used prefolds until Evie was about 6 months old, so cant really help with newborn nappies, but wanted to say Congratulations :wine:

Sadie xx

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat