Someone remind me why I'm using cloth

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Someone remind me why I'm using cloth

Postby tanya » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:37 pm

As I'm getting very close to giving up completely :(

I know a lot of it's my own fault as I give him unlimited drinks (which are either pure water or have barley water to help his bum, but OMG, he loves the stuff!!) so of course he's now a seriously heavy wetter!

To give an example - he's been in Goodmamas all day, which are pretty absorbent nappies. And he's been through our entire stash of them today (6 in total) as they've been soaked. He's soaked through one pair of flongies, one pair of wool boardies and one PUL wrap (used in desperation). He's now in a sposie (which needs changing because he stinks again!).

I just cannot keep him dry. It's like it was with Bella when I gave up and put her in day time sposies (she was always in cloth overnight). I don't think the problem is with the wool as I have freshly lanolised all of it over the last few weeks. I don't use PUL very often as this gives him a sore red bum (which also makes me worried about using sposies full-time as they won't breathe as much either).

I just don't know what to do next. I can't really boost the nappies as that distorts the shape and as his poops are still manky and runny, they just leak out they legs :(

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Someone remind me why I'm using cloth

Postby Hannahboo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:04 pm

:hug: Tanya, I feel your pain and was thinking along the same lines today myself!

I have had to change Darcy's clothes today 3 times because of leaking nappies, she has always been a heavy wetter but has just over the past couple of days started to guzzle her cups of water and then is doing huge wees :evil: She out peed a new design DnF today in 30 minutes and we were getting 2-3 hours in that before today!! I won't give up on cloth though as I love it too much (plus hubby would kill me after the amount of money I have spent :giggle: )

So no advice really but just wanted to say I hope you come to some solution that makes both Jake and you happy :hug:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Maybe part time potty? Thats what we did and no regrets I dont mean actual potty training, just introduced it as she was flooding nappies.

:giggle: at the barley water it looks horrible im suprised they drink it izzy loved it too

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:29 am

littlesez wrote:Maybe part time potty? Thats what we did and no regrets I dont mean actual potty training, just introduced it as she was flooding nappies.

:giggle: at the barley water it looks horrible im suprised they drink it izzy loved it too

This is what I was going to suggest. We started putting R on the potty at 8 months but intend to start at birth with the next one. It saves me loads of nappy washing, he goes on first thing and does a poo and wee, then I put him on sometimes before his nap but always as soon as he wakes up from the nap as that's big wees time! Then I check his nappy at 2 or 3 hourly intervals and he's usually dry so I put him on the potty then and he usually does a wee, then he goes on just before his bath when we might get poo or wee or nothing. Its much less of a faff than trying to get poo off of nappies, and he's pretty much PT'd now (he's 14 months). I know a woman who has a 3 month old who's dry at night (they co-sleep, baby squirms when she needs to go and mummy hold her over potty beside the bed). Amazing!

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:27 pm

I love all these ECing stories. Abi gave very clear signs in the first few weeks after she was born but I didn't know much about it then :doh: And now I might not get another chance...

Sorry to hijack post Tanya. I struggle with the poos too and just think all this fuss and bother....but you can only do what you can do. :hug: :hug: though

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Will be a little more difficult to start EC at Jakes age but not impossible.

Other than that boost outside the nappies. Hemp or bamboo outside the nappy and use a piece of elastic to hold it in place then wool/fleece over the top. This solves the problem of extra boosting affecting fit for poos but gives a lot of extra absorbency for pees.

I know you have probably done it but going to say it anyway...are all your nappies stripped recently?

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:11 pm

The last few nappy washes have all been stripped, so I have done the entire stash.

I've cut his drinks down a little, so now he only gets them with meals and maybe one mid-morning & mid-afternoon. I'm also changing every 2 hours and things are getting a bit better. It's certainly nowhere near as bad as it was when I originally posted this.

I don't think any kind of EC would work for us. Jake is very much an independent play sort of chap and spends a fair amount of time in his room playing. Whilst he's doing that, I'm generally pottering, doing housework or knitting, so not watching him. I would miss a lot of his cues and it would get very messy. My DH wouldn't go with it at all as he is queasy about anything to do with wees and poos :giggle:

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:14 pm

Glad things have got better since your last post :hug:

My avatar
Bee's Knees
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Bee's Knees » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Just wanted to say I feel your pain! Mine was just the same, I actually had him tested for diabetes, his drinking was so excessive. Nothing wrong with him except a mean thirst!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat