hf1

So what types of preloved nappies sell well? or badly?

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: So what types of preloved nappies sell well? or badly?

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:55 pm

Rox wrote:I disagree, i think actually whatever is in 'fashion' or 'the' nappy to have seems to sell its value better. Tots bots and the like are a bit old now - been around for years and considered a basic staple nappy so no one will pay much for them. Fancy ones will probably sell better, but they cost more too and so you have to charge more for them pre-loved... which means people cant always afford them.

I recall at one point my fancy Holdens Landing nappies were flying out and at good prices but by the time we had come to the end of nappying they werent really the nappy to have (OWW and others were by then) and so they were much harder to sell. Only managed to shift them in the end at rock bottom prices.

Its a very difficult market and i know this time i wont be going all out like i did last time.

I totally agree with Rox - I joined CNT at the height of the Holdens Landing frenzy and got totally swept up in it, including ordering new from the co-op (pretty much the only brand new nappies I ever bought). When they were outgrown however I couldn't shift them for half of what I'd paid for them preloved (ie nappies that cost £25 new, that I'd paid £18 for preloved, now weren't even shifting for £10). Many of them had hardly been worn as DD had a growth spurt not long after I had bought some of them. It was a real shame as the nappies are gorgeous, and we found them reliable, but as the new mamas to the site hadn't heard of them the bottom totally fell out of the resale market.

I must admit I have been tempted to buy a few OWW again because everyone is raving about them, but I fully expect that when I come to sell them again next year I won't get anything for them as people will have moved onto something else. The only nappies which seem to be consistently popular are WN, but we actually found the day pockets the most unreliable of any nappies (although we love WNNN).

I will be a lot more careful with my money this time round, and I think I will be sticking to basic nappies a lot more this time round, as at least then if I get no resale value it won't matter.

I also have a ton of wool, again mainly bought as I got a bit addicted, but I justified to myself that I would get at least 50% back when I came to sell it on, but even brand new never worn skirties have just been sat in my spare room for months now with no interest, it's such a shame :cry:

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:39 pm

I find pockets and all in ones hold their value much better than fitteds normally a third if the price new wheras fitteds go for less than half price so I try not to buy new fitteds.
I find the same with wool I try and have mine knit into something else rather than sell for next to nothing :-(

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:59 pm

I think it's definitely whatever the 'cool' thing is on here. For a while it was itti's, then DnF's then OWW's. I think there has even been a prefold phase while I've been on here.

You say ME sandy's sell really cheap - they do, but they're also so cheap to buy - i think it's £5 ish new, so it's just taking a pound or two off of that for 2nd hand. Same with a few others you mention, they're just so cheap to start with.

I'm not sure that the type of nappy makes that much difference - some people only buy pretties, some only buy plains. I guess with the pretties there's a chance that someone has that one print or colourway that someone else has been searching for, so might up the price a bit. Some people also only buy WAHM made, some people never would. Those sorts of things are swings and roundabouts I think.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Agree that cloth follows trends: DnF, FnS, HL, OWW, etc. Like Rox mentioned HL were a mad crze at one point. There was a thread on here that went on for months and ran up about 30 pages of posts. It was like a mini-forum :giggle: Pre-loveds held their value and any new nappies that Bonnie listed on FB were often gone within minutes as people stalked waiting for the listing.

In addition to the trends I also think more people are now aware of cloth and are using it - which is excellent but it means prices are driven down. Also why pay close to the sale price for a preloved when, for a few extra £s, you can buy your own custom brand new????? Then factor in the other reasons: people hard-up, and Xmas round the corner and it all - low nappy prices.

TBH I think the answer is: buy nappies that you love and enjoy and not ones that you feel will hold their value the best. At the end of the day the pretty, embroidered ones are still peed in and pooped in and fucntion in the same way as the good ol' basics like Sandy and LIttle Lambs

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat