hf1

Advice needed on cloth nappies to a newbee!

My avatar
Ashley J
Clothie
Clothie

Advice needed on cloth nappies to a newbee!

Postby Ashley J » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:56 pm

hey, I am new to cloth and have a 12 month old girl. I recently bought Charlie bananas and Real easy baby nappies, having problems with them leaking after two hours and wondered if anyone else has tried them?

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Advice needed on cloth nappies to a newbee!

Postby Bluebell » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:01 pm

We like Real Easys but we use them with an extra booster (Easy Peasy Hemp or Little Lambs Bamboo or similar). Absorbancy should increase after a few washes too.

Not tried Charlie Bananas, are they pockets? What are you stuffing them with? Hemp/bamboo are more absorbant than microfibre, it might just be that you need to try some different inserts. (I'm assuming they're pocket nappies?!)

My avatar
runjumpclimbswim
Clothie
Clothie

Postby runjumpclimbswim » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi,
I am a relative newbie too but the first thing I'd ask is if you're using both the inserts. If not, add the little one too and that ought to help. Wet get 3 hours out of our Charlie Banana but DS is only 8 months and not a heavy wetter. Also worth looking to see if the nappy is really wet or if you're getting wicking, if its wicking then you probably need to adjust the fit rather than the absorbency.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:50 pm

We always struggle with pockets they just don't work on some heavy wetters.

My avatar
Ashley J
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Ashley J » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:35 pm

she only goes through 3/4 disposables a day so not heavy, they are microterry in the charlies and the two inserts seem really bulky on her, she is only 24lbs so not a big baby at all either. The real easy's have the microterry and hemp built in so should they not last more than 2 - 3 hrs at a time? I have only had them a week so maybe i need more patience! And yes they are one size pockets (Charlie) and medium for pockets in medium for the easy's. Whats 'wicking'? lol x

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:58 pm

Wicking is when the edges of the nappy are getting wet before the nappy is saturated usually it is because the nappy is being done up too tight or too loss. Or it can be the wet is running off the edge of the nappy before it is absorbed. Bamboo and hemp are slow to absorb.
My 18lb 6 mth DD needs both inserts to last more than 3 hours.

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:17 pm

Wicking can be caused by tights being too tight :giggle:
We always put an extra booster in, and my DD is probably a light/normal wetter, definitely not heavy.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:22 pm

We could never use microfibre inserts in any pockets without leaking.We use bamboo and hemp ones instead.A lot of pockets need changing every 2-3 hours and cloth nappies tend to need changing more often than disposables.We also coukdn't get a good fit with some nappies meaning we had leg gape and leaking that way.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat