hf1

Starter /trying cloth stash

My avatar
Luvbug
Clothie
Clothie

Starter /trying cloth stash

Postby Luvbug » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:59 am

Hi, I on waiting on delivery of my nappies, I already have a handful of shaped Terry nappies, some bambino mio prefolds and a couple of mio wraps, I am waiting for some cheap BTP pockets with microfibre inserts, a couple of motherese one size, a couple of motherease boosters and a couple of tots bots wraps, and a tots bots fleece wrap.
I won't be able to use cloth full time to start with but do you think that is an ok bundle to start off with? I am sorely tempted by a PL issy bear but I'm worried about spending too much then finding that cloth just doesn't work out for us.

My avatar
busybee
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Starter /trying cloth stash

Postby busybee » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:50 pm

I would get as many different styles/brands as you can, not all nappies will suit. Have you got any bamboo nappies in your stash? Remember you can always sell on any nappies that don't suit you. :thumbsup: Good luck and have fun shopping!
ETA: if you're waiting on nappies at the moment why not try them out first and then see if you want/need to try out any others.
Last edited by busybee on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:51 pm

I second also trying a good variety of nappies. ~How old is your lo? I have never tried the cheapy pockets but some people get on ok with them, the microfibre inserts are not the best though, you will probably need to boost with bamboo or hemp.
Look on classifieds on here, you will find a good selection to try from and some lovely fab, great preforming WH~AM nappies x

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:03 pm

It all just Fisk g what works for you. I have tried a fair few over the years and believe me what works for one won't for another.
Mio wraps hve never worked for us but the prefold are great in flip covers on my two.
Good luck

My avatar
Nimyue
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Nimyue » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:16 pm

I agree. I started with Wonderoos and while I like them well enough they taught me I'm just not a pocket girl! But lots of people love pockets. Also, I recommend trying Tots Bots Bamboozles (any of the generations older = cheaper) they are really solid I have 15 as my base nappy in my stash. I started buying whatever was cheap and varied my styles, fitted, a pocket, and an Ai2. I realized I loved Ai2s and am now in the process of selling my pockets and buying all Ai2s. If I had only bought pockets, I may have given up cloth! So try 1-2 of each, buy preloved. If you buy preloved and they don't work for you, you won't loose any money turning around and selling them!

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:54 pm

hi, good luck with trying out cloth! i would recommend also trying reusable wipes - they save loads of money lol! - and also wool covers if you're brave enough hohoho! for cheapies, we love our little lambs bamboo and tots bots bamboo and cotton. i hated wonderoo but i think it was to do with the rubbish mf inserts rather than the design of these nappies. good idea to get bamboo or hemp inserts - these are sought after preloved so if you don't want to wait around, try ebay (10 for £10 or something). we had about 20 size 1 nappies and have about 50 size 2 nappies (!) but that's because DD is in nursery so i needed to get about 25 totsbots easyfits as extra. good luck!!!!!!!!! xxx

My avatar
Solstice_3
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Solstice_3 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:20 pm

You could try this if you can afford it, it's how I started out http://www.fill-your-pants.com/cloth-na ... trial.html to be honest there is only one I want to send back, but preloved would be cheaper :)

My avatar
Nimyue
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Nimyue » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Oh and don't buy reusable wipes if you're on a budget, make them! I bought fleece remnants at the local fabric shop for 2 pounds and cut it up. Then a spray bottle with water works great ;p I find using the reusable wipes is easier than the disposable ones. It's nice to just take the yuckie wipe and put it in the diaper just as you would a disposable and chuck it all in the wash bag.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat