hf1

Cloth from birth

My avatar
Lynni
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Cloth from birth

Postby Lynni » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:15 pm

Just looking for some honest answers and reassurance about using cloth on a new baby, how difficult is it? I've had my MIL telling me today 'she has had 3 kids and she knows & I won't want to be washing cloth nappies when I've just given birth' She said I won't feel like using them for 8 wks or so :shock: Then she said 'I spose you'll listen to all the advice and do your own thing anyway!!' (yep thats right :lol: )

I've got so caught up in the loveliness of cloth I'm beginning to think maybe I've jumped feet first and not thought about my life when we first come home or is she just making a big thing about it? The maternity ward use cloth - more of a muslin pad and wrap so I really have no excuse not to carry on!!!

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Re: Cloth from birth

Postby beck » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:23 pm

We used cloth straight away and never had a problem. My DP helped with the washing as well. But we did have Phebie in cloth already so there really wasn't any extra to do. Even if you wash them with bubs clothes there wouldn't be any extra washing at all iykwim.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:38 pm

Have to say I plan to do cloth from birth this time - did last time too but as she was prem I had nothing that fitted her... And if this one is prem it will probably be in disps while I buy up everyone's dolly nappies!! :lol:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:04 am

I used cloth as soon as I got home from hospital with Charlotte and found that as I didn't know anything else, we soon got into a routine with it and it was really easy, we didn't experience any problems particularly in the first few months.

With Ben, he was in cloth immediately but I had had 2 years of cloth by then so knew what I was doing. Having said that though, I had 2 weeks of 2 in cloth before Charlotte potty trained and I did find the washing quite onerous. But with one it is easy :D

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:35 am

Used cloth on Evie from 12 hours old, the washing has never bothered me - I just pop them into the mornings white wash, with the extra rinse at the start, so really was no extra hassle.

Your MIL probably remembers the steeping and boiling that she would have done when she used cloth years and years ago - washing them now is so much easier :D

My avatar
Jamling
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Jamling » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:16 am

I didn't find it a problem with a newborn at all. I think maybe because I was so into wanting to use cloth it meant I was keen to get them in the machine and see them all hung up - gives a real sense of satisfaction seeing them on the line :D Don't let people put the seed of doubt in your mind. Things have changes a lot and it's really not a problem.

I was going to give us a few weeks to get into the swing of things before using them but after the first few hours I couldn't wait to get Jamie into his cute cloth nappies :babyroll:

Newborn nappies dry pretty quick anyway I used Diddy diapers mostly and found them to be fab.

Go for it I say! :D

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:14 pm

I have used cloth from birth on Summer and had absolutely no problems, despite no help from OH, and 2 in nappies, really isn't a hassle at all! Admittedly, I did tumble dry them a few times while I was getting used to the amount of nappies I had to wash, and how regularly!

My avatar
pinkydinkydoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby pinkydinkydoo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:48 pm

we used cloth for both the kids, the hospital that ds was born in suplied cloth so while i was in hospital i made the most of using their nappies so i did'nt have the dirty nappies to take home :lol: I used terries on him when we got home and stuck with those for a long time.
With dd i used disposables while she was in hospital because she was'nt born localy and they thought we'd be in for quite a while, i knew dh would'nt know how to use or remember to use the washing machine so used cloth from the moment we got home. I used fitteds, pockets and terries on dd and got on fine, it did'nt seem like extra work for me at all but would of been a real pain if i'd had to of gone out to buy disposables! iykwim?

My avatar
Lynni
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Lynni » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:55 pm

eviesmummy wrote:
Your MIL probably remembers the steeping and boiling that she would have done when she used cloth years and years ago - washing them now is so much easier :D

No my MIL is just a pain in the arse! It's like she wants to tell me I 'wont be able to do this or that, cause she knows best' So now I'm on a mission to prove her wrong and there won't be a disposable within 10m of this baby when she is about :lol:
Thanks for the reassurnce though, she had made me begin to doubt my abilities but now I know she is just being negative.

Ta!! >:D<

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat