hf1

Cloth from birth

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Cloth from birth

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:54 pm

It worked for us and the washing wasn't an issue, for us waiting for things to dry without a drier was harder to get used too. TBH I found with all the washing being done, a nappy wash wasn't any extra work.

Once the older generation realises things have changed I have found they are generally impressed apart from my MIL who believes all nappies should be white :shock:

My avatar
Lynni
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Lynni » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:13 pm

I too don't see a nappy wash being extra work and when you think about how many sleepsuit changes you probably make on a newborn, whats a bucket of nappies every 2 days or so?! To me it would be more of an inconvenience having to go and buy disposables :D I think if you start as you mean to go on, then you can never know different can you? We invested in a washer/dryer during the summer, though I'm hoping not to rely on it too heavily but having a winter baby and indoor drying who knows :?

I explained about the washing of 'new generation' nappies, but I don't think she was really interested - just wanted to put me in my place for being ambitious more like (can you tell yet I don't really like her?!)

My avatar
berrypipping
Clothie
Clothie

Postby berrypipping » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi

We used cloth on our daughter right from the start (okay, strictly speaking not the first two nappies, but that was because she was early and very small and I hadn't taken anything small enough in cloth to the hospital!) and we've never had a problem or regretted it.

To be honest, with all the extra washing we found she made (muslin cloths, clothes etc.) I don't think we even noticed the nappy washing!

Don't worry - you can easily prove your MIL wrong :)

Claire.

My avatar
carx2ie
Clothie
Clothie

Postby carx2ie » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:04 am

I've had all 3 of my girls in cloth within hours of birth, and twice now I've had two in nappies, and it's honestly no trouble at all. I don't think you'll have much more washing whilst your lo is a newborn, as the only times I've had poo leaks (involving changing all clothing!) is when I've used disps! so ended up washing more clothing anyway. I'd say the only downside of using cloth is that you have to change them more frequently, but then I find it somewhat frightening that babies can be left in the same disp for up to 12 hours!

My avatar
mamaellie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mamaellie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:17 pm

Your MIL sounds like my mum! She insists the water used to wash them costs more than disposables (not that she has any idea how much these things cost!!) So many people have told me I'm brave or it won't work out, but like everyone has said, I'll just do it from day one and make it a habit. Washing takes up so little time, really-- I'm more worried about finding time to clean the bathroom or hoover than start an extra load of washing and hang it up!

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat