hf1

The cost of nappies

My avatar
hermya
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: The cost of nappies

Postby hermya » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 am

Sorry I'm on my phone so my spelling isn't what it should be.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 am

Hobby, obsession. Potatoe, potartoe (misspelt on purpose ;) )
I totally agree with hermya.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:09 pm

I reckon I've spent around £1500, probably more, on nappies and woollies etc. Mostly this has been due to impulse buying, and stuff not suiting my LO's. Most of it is not even nice WAHM stuff! I have 200+ nappies (inc terries and prefolds), most of which never see the light of day. I have a stash of 12 nappies that we actually use along with disposables. Many of them are a bit too grubby now to sell, or wouldn't sell well even if they are in good condition, but I can still save money by using them on future babies and will maybe get a bit back if I can sell them on after. Obviously there are other benfits to using cloth, considerably less landfill, no chemicals next to baby's skin, prettier and comfier nappies etc. Even if there are nappies you can't sell there may be charities you can donate them to, so someone else can benefit from them.

I've had a couple of times when I just didn't feel like using them for a while. I used sposies for a while, washed all the cloth ones and sorted them out and left them for a while. The enthusiasm came back after a few weeks!

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks all :hug: I'm not really doing it for the money, it just shocked me a bit. I think what really disappoints me is that I don't really have anything I like to show for it. I do the same with clothes - buy lots of cheap things I don't love rather than a few really nice things I do :-(

Anyway, I have to date used mostly fitteds. I have some LLs, MEOS, Bumbles and WAHM. My favourite are actually the MEOS - I've got some pretty coloured ones and I do love these. Trouble is I've never found a wrap I like to go over them. I've really tried to like wool but just can't. So I have quite a bit of wool too...

Recently I've been more using pockets and I think this is probably the way forward with an older wriggly baby. I don't really like poppers - can never seem to get a good fit. I really like Happy Heinys and was thinking of getting more of those. I quite like BG, but am finding them quite small already and they sometimes leave marks on her legs so can't see this being a good long term solution. I've just got a flip cover and really like that - plenty of room and so soft round the legs. But with all these I need to find a good solution for stuffing them. I used to love Blueberry inserts, but these no longer last her more than about an hour. The PD / hemp combo many people use lasts quite well, but it is quite bulky and quite expensive to buy a whole set.

I've completely given up on nights for now and have been using disposables since Xmas.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I will go out for a walk now to clear my head then try to start sorting and clearing out my stash.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:28 pm

Okay with flips I use Mio inserts in a insert sock not as trim bit works well and cheap I'd be happy to send you a sock and mio. Let me know kimmy

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:44 pm

justme123 wrote:Thanks all :hug: I'm not really doing it for the money, it just shocked me a bit. I think what really disappoints me is that I don't really have anything I like to show for it. I do the same with clothes - buy lots of cheap things I don't love rather than a few really nice things I do :-(

Anyway, I have to date used mostly fitteds. I have some LLs, MEOS, Bumbles and WAHM. My favourite are actually the MEOS - I've got some pretty coloured ones and I do love these. Trouble is I've never found a wrap I like to go over them. I've really tried to like wool but just can't. So I have quite a bit of wool too...

Recently I've been more using pockets and I think this is probably the way forward with an older wriggly baby. I don't really like poppers - can never seem to get a good fit. I really like Happy Heinys and was thinking of getting more of those. I quite like BG, but am finding them quite small already and they sometimes leave marks on her legs so can't see this being a good long term solution. I've just got a flip cover and really like that - plenty of room and so soft round the legs. But with all these I need to find a good solution for stuffing them. I used to love Blueberry inserts, but these no longer last her more than about an hour. The PD / hemp combo many people use lasts quite well, but it is quite bulky and quite expensive to buy a whole set.

I've completely given up on nights for now and have been using disposables since Xmas.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I will go out for a walk now to clear my head then try to start sorting and clearing out my stash.

I have a lilac Happy Heiny one size you can have if you want - happy to swap for something you don't want anymore if you like if I can use it on my blue bump (mediums in particular would be good as I have lots of smalls).

I remember when DD was about 6-7 months I thought she was going to grow out of all her nappies as everything seemed too small, and the BG one size were never going to fit her to PT, but actually since then she has pretty much stayed in larges all the time - she slimmed down when she started crawling and again when she started walking, so some of the nappies which used to fit well didn't, and others which didn't suddenly did. I spent loads when I first got into cloth/wool (probably about £2k) but I have also sold lots and recovered a reasonable proportion, plus I can use some for the next baby too, and it's still less than sposies. If you think about it, you could not buy another nappy and still manage until PT, but with sposies you would have to pay out another £900 (assuming she PTs about 2).

If you really want to do it just to save money then I guess you need a simple BTP system and just stick with that, but then lets face it you wouldn't have joined this forum would you?! :giggle:

I have had a lot of fun and pleasure out of my cloth, and I would never have joined this forum if I was using sposies (it was the classifieds that originally sucked me in!) so for me that's worth a lot, not to mention the comfort, environmental aspects etc etc

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:03 pm

Thank you Danika, that helped :hug: I could quite easily go to PT (with triplets :giggle: ) without buying another nappy so you're right it will probably end up being money saving, and I have had a lot of fun and found this forum so it's all good really :-) I never should have added it up really - don't know what possessed me! They say that yesterday was the most miserable day of the year - maybe I'm just running late.

I guess I just need a good clearout now she's grown and then I can start building my stash again. I need to think of it more as a hobby / obsession and have some fun again.

I'll go and have a look to see what I can find in a medium for blue bump :wink: Are you after fitteds or pockets?

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:46 pm

justme123 wrote:Thank you Danika, that helped :hug: I could quite easily go to PT (with triplets :giggle: ) without buying another nappy so you're right it will probably end up being money saving, and I have had a lot of fun and found this forum so it's all good really :-) I never should have added it up really - don't know what possessed me! They say that yesterday was the most miserable day of the year - maybe I'm just running late.

I guess I just need a good clearout now she's grown and then I can start building my stash again. I need to think of it more as a hobby / obsession and have some fun again.

I'll go and have a look to see what I can find in a medium for blue bump :wink: Are you after fitteds or pockets?

either is fine! glad I could help a bit :thumbsup:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Inserts wise I used to love the Greenkids bamboo double inserts - bout £4 new but work well with a cheapie microfibre booster. Or Easypeasy do hemp boosters which are great to just bung in with whatever else you are using and the really extend the absorbancy - think they are £10 for 5 or something.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat