hf1

The cost of nappies

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

The cost of nappies

Postby justme123 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:41 am

I have just added up how much I have spent on nappies for dd so far and am actually quite shocked and upset :shock: :cry:

I have spent a total of £946 :shock: :shock: I have also made £435 from selling but I'm still £511 down. That is all buying preloved from classifieds - just £20 here and there. That doesn't include yarn or slings or WAHM clothes.

She is only 7 months old and I still can't say that I am happy with my stash or have found something that really works well for us. I feel really disappointed. Most of it I don't love, and know I won't get back what I paid for it :-( I could have saved a fortune by using disposables.

I think I am just going to try and sell it all (not that anything is selling on classifieds) and buy a new btp pack of flips or something. This madness has to stop :-(

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: The cost of nappies

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:55 am

Have you worked out how much you would have spent on disposables since your daughter was born.

We were quite lucky in that I didn't find it hard to find nappies that worked well for us. We don't use or buy any / many WAHM nappies as they cost more (for a good reason). I'm happy to use the more mass produced brands.

I'm sorry you feel this way about the nappies and I hope you can work out a way to keep using cloth but recoup some of your costs.

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:03 am

i haven't added up what we have spent but maybe it would be a similar amount... but i'm happy with most of what i've bought and we can use it for the next bubba and then sell it on. i think for us, one expense has been the postage cost when buying single items on fsot

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 am

You need to find something that works and stick with it. I usually only had 3-5 brands in my stash at any one time because i just bought more of what worked and therefor i loved.

Just on a rough working out i would say you've probably spent about the same as you would have if you used disposables for the 7months, but you've had lovely soft, kind fluff instead.. not too bad i dont think!! but if you could sort out your core stash and stick to that you should be able to reign in some of the spending and enjoy the money saving side of cloth x

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:14 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: Sorry you feel that way :(

I've never calculated how much I've spent on nappies, but I reckon I've still made a considerable saving over disposables, particularly as Otis is now using a lot of Jasmine's nappies, and I'll then sell them on.

For me, though, the cost isn't the main driver; reducing the environmental impact of my LOs is more important, as well as the fact that I don't want them to have nasty chemicals next to their skin 24/7.

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:17 am

WTS and I'm now using Reuben's smaller sizes on Bailey so haven't spent any money on nappies for him whereas I would've if I'd been using sposies :thumbsup:

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 am

:hug: I suppose I'm lucky in that I have found a couple of brands (both WAHM) that really work for all three of mine and have stuck with them, and am building on them! I have never added up what I've spent would would guess it's only half what you have, if that, and all of mine have been new! I don't understand why people buy all different brands to try once they've found one that works, think that's where a lot of people waste money when it comes to cloth!

Find one brand that works, sell everything else and stock up on those, you'll need less and so spend less ;)

Xx

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 am

See I'm not sure where people get the figures for disposables. I can't see how you could spend more than £10 a week even if you buy the most expensive brand and change all the time :-? Which works out at maybe £300, and probably almost half that if you buy own brands and offers.

Still - I do still have quite a lot I could sell which would bring the cost back down to close to that.

I guess Im just frustrated at how many gorgeous WAHM brand new nappies I could have bought for that, which would have had a better resale value and been more fun to use :-? It really is a false economy to buy preloved sometimes I think.

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:21 am

See I'm still not totally happy with any of them, so I keep trying new things to see if they'll be better. I haven't found my perfect system yet :-(

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat