hf1

The cost of nappies

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: The cost of nappies

Postby justme123 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:25 am

It also doesn't help that she's grown so fast. Shes outgrown all her mediums at 7 months so I've been through several sizes, and most sz2 / btp nappies are also on the small side. She's gone from being a light/medium wetter to a super heavy one, and she has the most enormous chunky thighs so everything leaves horrid red marks :-(

Sorry - I'm just having a moaning feeling sorry for myself day I think :oops:
Last edited by justme123 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 am

Then you should see if anyone will loan you nappies to try, so you can try before you buy x

Pre-loved is slow at the moment so tbh i would hate to be buying new, expensive WAHM stuff then not being able to sell it on when i needed the next size.

I never bought any pre-loved nappies at all when i used cloth on Scarlett... but for the next one i think it will mostly be pre-loved for the early days and then i'll consider new once baba is 6months+ and the growth rate slows down so i would get more use from them.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:29 am

How many nappies do you have? I reckon I spent about £450 on nappies when Martha was using them, and I got about half of that back. Most of the pre loved I bought I got back almost what I paid for it. I never paid more than about £7 for a pre loved nappy and most were £5. I had a load of bumgenius and fuzzibunz and then the odd fancy nappy (weenotions mostly). In the end I spent more money on decent inserts rather than the nappies themselves.

I had a mix of new and pre loved (probably 50:50)

New Wahm nappies are ludicrously expensive IMHO an not necessary. I would sell anything you don't use a lot. Also remember that at 7 months they are still changing (I didn't start using real nappies until Martha was about that age) so that may be why you haven't got your perfect stash yet.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:30 am

You should find now tho that the larges you buy will last through to potty training.. she will continue to get bigger and go up the poppers/waist size but once walking she will slim down, then growth spurts come along etc and so the nappies last much, much longer.

The turn over rate is very quick in the first 6months but after that it does get better, so you may feel to have had a big spend so far but i'm sure when you average it out over the whole time you will be better off than having used disps.

We worked it out when S potty trained that we had saved money by using cloth and yet Scarlett had the most gorgeous, fancy, WAHM nappies all custom made etc - I would hope to save more next time as i dont plan on doing it on such a large scale, theres no need really.
Last edited by Rox on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:31 am

justme123 wrote:It also doesn't help that she's grown so fast. Shes outgrown all her mediums at 7 months so I've been through several sizes, and most sz2 / btp nappies are also on the small side. She's gone from being a light/medium wetter to a super heavy one, and she has the most enormous chunky thighs so everything leaves horrid red marks :-(

Sorry - I'm just having a moaning feeling sorry for myself day I think :oops:

I used medium Fuzzis till Martha PT'd, with a combination of a heavy duty hemp or bamboo insert and microfibre cloth or booster on top.

What do you mostly use?

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:33 am

If you post anything you want to try I'd be happy to lend you something to try if I have it and not obsessively using it ATM.
Noo was too big to fit his BTP at 8-9 mths but he was back in them by 13mths as soon as he started to waddle really.
Flora is like this at the moment so I'm mainly useing wool and fitted's IMO there is little better.
Have to say I love love love WAHM nappies however I am all about the pretties.
As soon as tge sun us back out I'm sure your feel better about them flashing fluff is half the fun :hug:

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:35 am

What do you use?

We just use pockets and have baba & boo and eBay cheepies as our about the house, stash fillers and our fail safe, never ever leak no matter how long their on nappies are tweedlebee and tweedlebum and baby blush!! They fit all three of mine perfectly and are fab!

I do think of you're using cloth you have to be in it for more than just money saving and have to be completely dedicated as it's not always an easy path to tread!

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:41 am

KimmyM wrote:Have to say I love love love WAHM nappies however I am all about the pretties.

I'm not against WAHM nappies in any way but I think they are expensive - nowt wrong with spending your money on them tho if that's your "hobby" :wink:

My avatar
hermya
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby hermya » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:49 am

I never really worked out what I spent on nappies, but as ive gone on I've decided tha I wasn't really doing it for money reasons. I'm doing it as I.just don't like the idea that I'm putting a ton of nappies into landfill, I'm also not 100% ok with the chemicals that they put in disposables being next to my babies bottom.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat