hf1

Do I need to buy more nappies? Help please!

My avatar
Vanilla
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Do I need to buy more nappies? Help please!

Postby Vanilla » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Ok I'm currently expecting (due in April) and so far have managed to build up a stash by buying only sale/special offer stuff. I have:
19 nappies in NB/size 1- Little lamb cotton nippa nappies, a TB teenyfit, bamboozle & a prefold. Plus 3 x wraps in size 0/NB, 2 X wraps size 1. Oh and 2 nappy nippas!

Again 19 nappies in size 2 - Totsbots cotton nippa, LL cotton & Totsbots old style bamboo aplix nappies, plus 2 x size 2 PUL wraps, 1 size 2 fleece wrap(from when my son was small, found them when clearing under my bed!)

All the Little Lamb nappies came with a booster & fleece liner in each - so have 24 of those in total.

Total spend so far £132.

So I have 19 nappies for each stage. (I know i will need more wraps/liners etc). I've no experience in using cloth from birth, and am worried the LL's etc may not fit straight away, although they do say suitable from 7lb. (Am not expecting a smaller baby than that, my 1st was 7lb5.) Also don't know how many wraps I might need for a newborn - I remember having LOTS of leaks in the early days last time when using disposables. I have my basket full of cute nappies on 2 nappy sites atm, my finger hovering over the checkout button when I thought, do I REALLY need these? Since we are on a tight budget for the foreseeable future. :( I would love to buy more nappies/wraps, especially some cute colourful ones and AIOs for days out, but should I stop now, and either make do with what I have bar a few extra essentials or maybe wait to buy more, after all I'm sure there will be offers on during Real Nappy Week. (BTW does anyone know what date RN week is? I know it's usually around April/May.)

I was planning on getting a pack of say 10 muslins and another 1 or 2 small/NB wraps to boost the stash for the very early days. But not sure if I'm buying the right things or not, what do people usually use for NB nappies? It seems a bit costly to buy fancy shaped/AIO NB nappies, cute as they are, but my son put on weight at a rate of knots after he was born, and I'd worry that I'd get very little use out of them considering shaped/AIOs seem to be around £10 a nappy.

I'm moving to a house that comes with a tumble dryer so I should be able to get away with less nappies than some - I will line dry as much as possible but will be able to speed up drying time if necessary. Would I be able to get away with less than 20 nappies? I don't know how many nappies I really need for a newborn baby and the pre-weaning stage. I didn't use cloth on my son until he was about 1 yr, plus it's been 8.5 years since having him & I just can't remember things like how many times they need changing throughout the day.

Or should I forget about being so frugal and buy some cute cloth!! All the above are very plain & boring!! :naughty:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Do I need to buy more nappies? Help please!

Postby monsterm » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm sorry to say it but, if you want to do cloth from birth, you don't have enough. My little girl didn't fit into size 1's until 9 weeks old. They say from 7lbs but babies at 7lbs are way too small. In all honesty, they would have to be at least 9lbs to fit into them & the nappy would still be huge on the baby. If money is a big issue, get some bamboo terry squares & some nippas. The bamboo terries are more absorbant than cotton. You could also buy some nb nappies on here. They are only used for a few weeks so it is worth buying them second hand & selling them on for similar to what you bought them for.

For size 1 & 2 nappies, you could scrape by with what you have, although another 5 in each size would help a lot.

You definitely need more wraps. I am a fan of wool though so I'm not the best to advise on what wraps are best. We got on well with motherease wraps when dd was small & I think they are still considered very good wraps.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:56 pm

I would say you need more as well, teeny fits are fantastic boosted with a little lamb bamboo booster (I fold in half) and also I would get perhaps some bamboo little lambs as cotton isn't the most absorbent, I use bamboo ll's on our 6 week old and have done since birth and he out pees them pretty quick even boosted.
Wraps wise I only have a couple but I use flece and wool also.
Prefolds are good, I use Little Gumnut and Oww's tri folded in a wrap and that works really well for us, the are bamboo and bamboo velour x

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:05 pm

I'm the opposite I bought all the ickle nappies and have a huge baby that never fitted them.
For newborn I used 3 flip cover's 18 mio size one's. 6 pockets one TB wrap and 4 fitted's I wash every day and manage fine with the what I have now is a different story. :giggle:
But if your question was should you buy more nappies than the anwser is always.

My avatar
Vanilla
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Vanilla » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:06 pm

Thank you for your advice! I'm very grateful. I just didn't know and need someone to tell me! I know manufacturers always say size 1's are suitable from 7lbs etc, but I did wonder as the nappies & wraps look huge, I was puzzled about how they could fit a 7lb baby. Even the size 0 Totsbots wrap I have looks massive to me.

I was initially going to use disposables for the first few weeks, but decided I'd rather spend the money on reusables and use cloth from birth, especially i may be able to sell them on or re-use muslins/terries as boosters when the baby's bigger. I don't mind terries, I used them a lot with my son and rather liked them, and they can always be covered with a cute wrap I suppose. Would you recommend bamboo over cotton? Are they less bulky than cotton terries as well as more absorbant? (Thinking a folded terry might also be quite big on a NB.)

I have some money set aside for baby things, so I can buy a few more nappies if I want, just don't want to get carried away, as I can see it becoming an addiction! It is all very confusing too as cloth nappies have changed since I last bought any in about 2004, there are so many new brands and styles about, I don't know what to choose! The nappies I have gathered so far are mostly discontinued styles which is how I got them cheap, plus I used the cotton totsbots before and they worked fine for us so I've just stuck with what I know so far!

I have been looking on ebay, but pre-loved nappies often seem to go for nearly the price of new on there! I'll keep an eye on the classifieds too. Didn't think I'd be having another baby, so I'm regretting giving away the nappies/wraps I had left from my son - I was thrilled at finding the old fleece wrap & 2 boosters under the bed yesterday lol! I'm sure I even threw away some of the nappies & wraps as I thought they were tatty & faded and no-one would want them - but on ebay I see people selling ones in a similar condition!! :oops:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:48 pm

I don't know if bamboo terries are less bulky than cotton but I imagine they are about the same. They are more absorbant though so that is reason enough for me to buy them over cotton. Of all the nappy materials, cotton & microfibre would be the least absorbant. You can also get the terries in smaller sizes. I think the smallest is 40x40 which are good for newborns.
The fact that cotton totsbots worked for you first time round suggests that your first baby was a light wetter. Your second might be a heavier wetter so cotton nappies might not be absorbant enough. Like Kirsty mentioned, it would be worth investing in some little lamb bamboo booster. They will just add some absorbancy to your current stash. Definitely have a look on classifieds to add to your stash.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:51 pm

I would agree. we used little lambs with ds from 5 weeks ish and he was 8lb 6 at birth. This time I have a selection for the newborn stage ( about 25) which are diddy diapers, nature babies loveables bamboo, easy peasy bimbles, xs and s sandies bamboo mainly plus some more expensive WAHM ones. Then size 1s I have mainly little lamb bamboo. We found the size 2s didn't work for us last time so haven't got any this time.
Wraps we used motherease xs and s and they are ok from birth but I have some thirsties wraps also.
I have some nippa bimbles I am selling as dh cannot do them and prefers velcro!

My avatar
Vanilla
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Vanilla » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:35 pm

wow thanks for the help this is great. I will definatly get some bamboo boosters, I had considered that but you've made up my mind. I will look for some bamboo terries and muslins for early days as well. I fancy trying some small Sandy's as well, have read good reviews of them as a NB nappy. I'd also looked at Diddy Diapers, silly question but the size 1's of these are ok to use from birth? Going to have another browse through the classifieds now I have a better idea of what I'm looking for and what I need!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby confusinglady » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Hiya,
Tots bots bamboozle poppers fitted my 7lb 2 from birth, I ve not used little lambs so don t know about them I m afraid. I did have some fitteds like that style that we re a bit big so I used to fold down the front and nippa them, could this be done do you think if they were too big?

I d always recomend bulking out with prefolds as they re cheap and less bulky in the change bag. I d bulk out your newborn / size 1 stash with those and leave your size two stash till you find out what works.
I d say some more size 1 wraps as 0/NB ones don t last long. I used thirsties duo size 1 and now use size 2, love love love them. Size 1 don t last over 4-5 months really but longer than motherease rikki for example. Nippa ing the prefolds help save your wrap from the newborn poo. I ve never had a poo leak out of a thirsties wrap yet.

Good luck xxx

Ps wrote this ages ago and forgot to post it lol!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat