hf1

Making my own nappies?

My avatar
rebellious_ruminator
Clothie
Clothie

Making my own nappies?

Postby rebellious_ruminator » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:17 am

Im not yet a mum but I am getting myself ready for it and have bought a couple of different brands of nappies, getting a feel for them and getting excited at the thought that a baby may be on its way in the near future. I have bought quite a few preloved nappies, as I am a big believer in recycling.

I got around to thinking, maybe I should try and make my own, I make a lot of things, so why not. Would be such a lovely thing to pass down to my children, if they decide to have children and go cloth.

I have found a lovely site that contains lots of lovely fabrics and lots of brilliant things to start me off;

http://www.ecoearthfabrics.com/showkb.php?org_id=&kb_id=32991

What I wanted to know is, what type of bamboo should I chose to make inserts? Which do you think, with your experience, would be the best? I would like to go with bamboo, as the feel is amazing and after reading loads of reviews, it seems to fit my tastes (without having the child to 'test' as such) but what do you think?

Im going to experiment with minky, fleece and cottons to go with my PUL. I want the end product to be bright and happy, while being something that is soft and comfy for the baby.

Thank you in advance for any help. :thumbsup:

- I am new to the site, so I apologise if this is in the wrong place, please move if necessary.

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Making my own nappies?

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:12 am

I don't know about the bamboo but I've been using the Darling Diapers pattern. It's easy to follow and really adaptable. Plus it's downloadable so you only need to print off the pages that you need.

My avatar
rebellious_ruminator
Clothie
Clothie

Postby rebellious_ruminator » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:21 am

The pattern looks brilliant, Ive only got a bog standard fitted nappy pattern, I shall have to download it, thank you. :hug:

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:50 am

i used the Darling Diaper pattern too, and generally use bamboo velour as outer and inner layer, plus bamboo fleece and/or terry for the core... though I have to admit that making my own didn't stop me from buying lots more pretty ones :widesmile:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat