Newbie (to cloth and the forum)

My avatar
songbird10
Clothie
Clothie

Newbie (to cloth and the forum)

Postby songbird10 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi all
As the title says I'm new to both the forum and cloth nappies.
My baby girl is 6 months old and after a couple of months toying with the idea have decided to give cloth a go. I tried prefolds with her today and loved them and she looked happy in them. A friend of mine is giving me some ittis to try.
I get paid this week so am going to buy some more (pre loved) I just have a few questions before I do.
How many nappies will I need ?
What nappies would you suggest for both cost effectiveness and use?
I don't own a tumble dryer so something quick drying would be good?
I have seen comments on here that its wise to try different styles which I'm planning on doing.
Any other advice you can give would be much appreciated thanks

My avatar
Slebro
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Newbie (to cloth and the forum)

Postby Slebro » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi :wave: compared to lots of (most) people on here I've barely scratched the surface of the lovely cloth nappy world, but we've found a few nappies we like and stuck with them (tuttos and bgs) with terries and wraps as back up / extras. If I had more money I'd buy more fitteds, some proper night nappies and definitely more bamboo boosters and hemp prefolds and little itti boosters, but we have enough for a wash every other day (about 15 I think) and we don't use the tumble drier. They mostly dry in a couple of days but the bamboo and hemp boosters and bamboozle nappy take an extra day. Hope you have fun trying out and shopping for different nappies! :giggle: :mail: :widesmile:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:24 pm

:wave: welcome to the tree x

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:50 pm

I'd suggest if your getting on with prefolds to buy a few more, they dry flat so dry faster than most fitteds. Itti's are also good if you get on with them as you can buy extra inserts, as whilst the outers dry fast the inserts take a while longer. I would also suggest buying some cheap poppered pockets, these can also be stuffed with prefolds. Also if your trying anything new, buy on classifieds to see if you get on with them first. I would suggest buying a dedicated night nappy though, I've tried both Weenotions and Luscious Little Somethings and both have been great. Dh once put ds2 in the Weenotions without a wrap thinking it was a pocket, and it lasted 4 hours during the day and still hadn't leaked :shock:

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Hello and Welcome! We don't use a tumble drier either and find we get on well with Wonderoo V1s on our 2 year old and Easyfit V2s on our 4.5 month old. Our older daughter has been wearing the same Wonderoos since she was 3-4 months so we have really got our moneys worth out of them! We have tried some other nappies as well on her but find the Wonderoos are great for her size/shape. They have microfibre inserts which dry quickly but are not as absorbant as hemp/bamboo. We have no problems with them but they aren't as good for heavy wetters. We find Easyfits a better fit on the baby now, snugger around the legs and more absorbant too. We wash most days although when we had one in cloth we washed every other and hung them over the bath to dry (our shower is separate thankfully). I would be happy to lend you a Wonderoo 1, Wonderoo 2 and an Easyfit 2 to try if you would like, just send me a PM as I am likely to forget to check this thread :wink: Oh, could also let you try a BumGenius as well. Some people prefer aplix, some poppers... I actually like either although poppers generally last longer and look nicer (aplix gets all fluffy after a while and can become less sticky, plus cheeky toddlers can undo it).

My avatar
songbird10
Clothie
Clothie

Postby songbird10 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks everyone. I didn't even think about night nappies. I have so much to learn lol.
Just been on the wee notions website how cute are the nappies I can already see this maybe a expensive habit lol

My avatar
Grrushka
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Grrushka » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi :wave:
I'm not an expert as I only started about 2 months ago but I can tell you that you will get cloth quickly if you check all the info plus look on classified on this site. It looks overwhelming at first but as soon as you'll try different nappies it will be fine. I started with lollipop bamboo fitteds plus motherease, at first I didn't like the lollipops as they were quite bulky on my boy and then the wraps... It was much easier with pockets, but now I've tried both for some time I am more leaning towards fitteds as they guarantee you no leaks and bamboo is really absorbant(but takes longer to dry) Out of aio and pockets I really like ittis but not evereone gets on with them :-? They are really good fit, quick drying and look nice:)) Also bum genius, wonderoos and easyfits are quite good for us. I'd try to keep it simple as it is really easy to go crazy with pretties (wee notions etc:) soo beautiful:D) and soon it becomes quite expensive.
Good look and let us know how you are getting on :wink:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat