What is wicking? and any other help!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

What is wicking? and any other help!

Postby littlesez » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:31 am

New to the site, cloth nappies and babies in general! I'm sara and not due til feb but probably take me that long to work it all out! wondering what wicking is as i try to find my way around the cloth nappy world :? Any recommendations also greatly appreciated. I think i would like to use nappies suitable for newborns as don't like the idea of bulky nappy for little one, then maybe a one size from a month or so upto potty? I'm really not fussed about design or colour and quite like white/natural that i've seen so far. No idea about which type, two part or all in one but i am thinking all in ones are cheaper and easier to put on? Also interested to hear from anyone using flat nappies and how difficult they are to fold, any advise welcome thanks Sara

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: What is wicking? and any other help!

Postby Rae » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:45 am

Wicking is when you get wetness on the outside of the nappy. It can happen more often with cotton fabrics for example on pocket nappies. It more affects babies/small children that wet a lot compared to those that are light or moderate wetters.
If you go to the following, you will see pics of different nappies on a newborn, and you can see the difference in bulk.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8977
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8477

I have never tried to fold a nappy, but here you might find some help
viewforum.php?f=10

We used little lambs from birth - which are a 2 part system, and lasted until Kayleigh was about 8 months. However there are a lot more exciting nappies available for LO's.

My avatar
pinkydinkydoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby pinkydinkydoo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:48 am

Wicking is when moisture is drawn through a fabric, for example if you were to use a fitted nappy on a newborn with a fleece wrap or soaker over the top the moisture can wick onto clothing i.e if used when baby is sitting in a car seat for a while.

Personaly i've always preferred 2 parters on newborns because their poop is very runny so when you have a nappy with a wrap over the top you have two lines of defence.

ETA I've used terries and prefolds on both my babies and found the terries to be the better ones, they fold easier and are more versitile really. I think folding is all down to who's doing it, it takes a little getting used to and whilst i found it perfectly fine my dh would refuse to use them :lol:

I'd say that newborns are the best for trying out all kinds of nappies, buy a few different ones that you like the look of so that when the time comes to buy the next size up you will know what works best for you and your baby. :D

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:57 am

Hey, I 've used OS from birth, and it hasn't bothered me too much, however, I think if your thinking of going for an OS system but want something smaller for the first couple of months I'd go for bamboo squares, they are really trim, and pretty absorbent, the jo fold is FAB!!

If I were to start over, I don't think I'd have changed that much! we've used pockets from birth, and only have about 10 2 parters inc 5 squares, I have lots of OS, and a few side snap pockets for a trimmer fit if she has an outfit that requires it!

I will do you a pic of her in a bamboo square in a bit, she's not newborn, but still only 9lb something so you'll get a good idea!

My avatar
samandabismum
Clothie
Clothie

Postby samandabismum » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:06 pm

With DS and DD1 we used motherease one size from about 2 months to potty training with corresponding sized airflow wraps. They are not the most exiciting nappy but certainly served our purposes and lasted 4 years. With DD2 I have found I really like pocket nappies as they are so quick to put on (convenient with the chaos around us) and less bulky. They also dry really quickly which we need as we haven't got a functionong tumble dryer. They need more frequent changing though and are probably not as reliable with breastfed poo but we haven't had many leaks really - well no more than with a disposie. Bumgenius are a great starter birth to potty pocket nappy which comes with inserts and is very reliable. They put on just like a disposible as have stretch tabs. We also love our weenotions birth to potty pockets and Blueberry onesize birth to potty.
I would recommend trying a couple of things second hand to see what you like rather than going for one type. Also consider how you will dry them as some materials like bamboo are very absorbant but slow to dry and can be tricky (IMO) without a tumble dryer.

My avatar
Cherylw
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Cherylw » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:10 pm

Hi Sara,

Charlotte is 12 weeks old now - and we have used one size pockets since she was 1 week old.

We had a couple of days of 'sposies with the meconium - tho wasn't needed as would have been fine with liners in the nappies. We then moved onto prefolds & wraps that i had bought for a bargain in sizes 1 & 2 - but after a couple of days
of using them I tried the BumGenius on her - and realised how well they fit - so we stopped the prefolds and started on the pockets from then!

Most of my nappies are BumGenius - which are fantastic - and we have never had a leak yet! But I also have a couple of upsy daisy BTP and Weenotions BTP pockets too! and I use fleece liners with them! I tried paper liners on several occasions - but hated them - the fleece linenrs are fab - IMO!

piccies below:

3 weeks in a pink BG

4 weeks in a green BG

11weeks in a raspberry slush upsydaisy

Hope that helps,

Cheryl

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 pm

Your LO is really gorgeous, reminds me alot of Summer in the first pic, however I recon Summer is still smaller now thank charlotte was at 3 weeks, hehe, she's such a lil dot! GAWD everytime I look at your upsydaisy I want one, I may have to treat myself, ooo I mean Summer!!

I meant to say, BGs have been FAB from birth, there's a pic of Summer in one at 2 days old in the first link Rae posted! In fact all the pics in that link she is less that a week, and about 7lb ish!

I left my camera at my mums but I picked it up earlier so will do a pic of her in a bamboo sqaure tomorrow as promised!

My avatar
Cherylw
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Cherylw » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Thanks Hanna!

Charlotte was 7lb 9.5oz at birth, 9lb 3 oz at 3 weeks and is now 13lb 11oz! She's a bit of a whopper!
I do love the upsy daisy nappies! They are just soo cute!

I know what you mean by treating yourself tho! 8) Charlotte and Summer are too young to appreciate them yet (if they ever do) - so it is treating us really!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:42 am

Thanks ladies, I think i stopped concentrating though when i saw the ultra cute pictures! Forgot all about nappies and just got all excited about the having a baby part :D I like the idea of trying different nappies and i suppose everyone has their own favourites, thanks for all advise, more welcome and more cute pics very welcome! :babyroll: Sara

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat