hf1

How many nb nappies?

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

How many nb nappies?

Postby ems101 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:25 am

I really want to use cloth from birth this time, but hubs thinks I'm mad, that we'll be washing 24/7. We will probably use sone sposies too, but how many do you think I'll need? 7 or 8 a day? Do nbs need different night nappies? Jen was small and didn't gain weight quickly so could be using them fir some time. She also went through 3 or 4 changes a night- she's an owl!!

Xx

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: How many nb nappies?

Postby justme123 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:51 am

I would say allow for 10+ a day, so probably 25- 30 if you're washing every other day. If you're changing several times a night (which is pretty normal!) then you won't need different night nappies at first.

My vote is for diddy diapers :-)

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:56 am

I wouldn't worry about night nappies for a newborn - you'll be changing overnight to start with so you won't need them

Id estimate at about 25-30.
But why not try muslins/prefolds/terries to increase numbers? They'll dry quicker too!

I loved our teeny fits and bg aio xs
But my favourites were tits bots nippa nappies!
If you want pretty ones - oww do gorgeous xs fitteds with an umbilical popper at the front

What size was Jen?

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:57 am

Yep, I agree, 10-12 a day. I didn't bother with dedicated night nappies until she started sleeping through the night (about 12 weeks old) by which time she was in mediums.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:57 am

I changed dd a couple of times through the night as a newborn, then for a while she could go all night in a boosted bg. Think she was in mediums before we moved to night nappies and wool.

More frequent changes when nb, so I reckon 12 a day including nights, and work that into how frequently you wash! I used terry squares as an economic way to extend my nb stash and plan on doing the same this time. Diddy diapers, totsbots, little lambs were my favourites.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:52 am

I agree with about 10-12 a day here too. I didn't bother with night nappies for my other three but M slept for about 7/8 hours at least at night from a fairly young age so we did need dedicated night nappies this time. Thankfully I had some newborn Puddlekins All Hours that I used until she was big enough for her small ones. Medium Wee Notions fit from quite early on (about 10/11lbs ish) so you might want to get a couple of NNS just incase you need them.

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:55 am

We had far too many newborn/small nappies, but, it meant I wasn't under huge pressure washing/drying nappies as D was (and still is) a demanding baby who gave me little time to do anything other than feed her. We went through a good 10 nappies a day in the early months as I changed at every feed and then again if she poo'd.

Our favs were definately Diddy Diapers, Tots Bots and Little Lambs :)

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:05 am

Scarlertt was cloth from birth and in the first couple of weeks she used around 16 a day!

I had 19nappies and washed everyday, we did okay - next time i will be aiming for more like 25 nappies so the pressure is off a bit if they take longer to dry.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:12 am

Ok, I'm going to ask people not to get us clothes, just nappies!

Jen was 6,15 at birth but dropped to 6,7. And took a long time to pick up. She was on the 2nd centile til we started weaning!

I suppose nb nappies are quite good to sell on?

Also it will be a nice warm dry summer (I've pre ordered one!), so easy to dry! Think I'll try and get about 20, I have 5 smart nappies already and all my others are one size so hopefully won't take too long before they fit!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat