hf1

Lets start from the beginning!

My avatar
kittykins
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Lets start from the beginning!

Postby kittykins » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:30 pm

Right i am going to sound like a right novice now!!
When Sophia was first in cloth i was clueless and soaked my tots bots before washing them as that was what i thought i was supposed to do, it was disguisting and i hated it! Then i moved onto pockets and dry pailed them.
So i need advice on newborn nappies, as i am guessing its ok to dry pail them?? i just never thought i would be able to wash the poo out if i did that. Do they stain a lot and so need hanging in the sun? or does it make no difference if you soak or dry pail them?

This is information for my friend by the way, not me! I am going to lend her my tots bots (cotton and bamboo), if she gets on with them she'll buy some more. Her baby's not due till March.

Any other advice for the first few months with a newborn please fire away! i know i tried pre-folds and they were useless, and i never tried pockets as i dont think they are as bomb proof as fitteds in those early days! :D :D

edited to say i hated my tots wraps, they were just bog standard white ones. So what wraps are good with a tots for a newborn?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Lets start from the beginning!

Postby flutterby » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:41 pm

ME wraps are fab, boring though, WN very similar but prettier!

I think soaking nappies is actually bad for them, if fleece liners are used they don't stain, TBH I ingore stains that do appear as they go gradually through regular washes! I rarely get stains anyway!

I used pockes from birth with no problems

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:47 pm

I have always dry pailed. With Charlotte I used Motherease Onesize and Rikki wraps with no problems at all. We used paper liners then as dh was a bit freaked by the idea of fleece! With Ben, we used a whole host of nappies, my faves being Little Lambs, Bambineos and surprisingly Bumgenius. The bamboo Tots were fine. I used fleece liners in the 2 parters and nothing in the pockets and haven't rinsed off any poo, I just put them in the bucket and straight in the machine and then do a cold rinse before my normal wash (used 60 degrees for first 3 months as advised and now have moved to 40 degrees). His poo is still liquid so it washes out fine. There is always some yellow staining but I got that with paper liners and still get it through the fleece but a couple of hours in the sun (yeah right! :roll: ) and it comes out really easy.

Definately recommend ME Rikki and Little Lamb wraps for containment.

My avatar
kittykins
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby kittykins » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:14 pm

brilliant that makes me feel a bit more confident when i am advising her!
i agree soaking is bad for them, but i didnt know any better :oops: I'd never soak again.
i have plenty of fleece liners, i found the paper ones scrunched up too much. Will keep my eye out for some rikki and wn wraps, thank u!! :wine:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat