DH doesn't want to use cloth :(

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Re: DH doesn't want to use cloth :(

Postby littlesez » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:51 pm

ladybird wrote:My dh would never have a say in it. I was the one at home changing bums most of the time, I was the one doing the washing.
Cost-wise cloth is always going to be better, even if you are shelling out buying more to try. We paid for the best part of our bathroom re-fit when ds3 potty trained and I sold the nappies on.

wss

I think it depends who is going to be doing the washing and nappy changes if its mostly you then its not really his choice. If you spend £700 on cloth what about using them for the next baby and what about when you sell them on? If you use sposies it is more than £700 anyway.

Izzy wnet through a stage of outpeeing everything just before she potty trained i think its about them holding it all in then letting it out in one go so nothing stands a chance :giggle:

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:01 pm

My OH never really changed the nappies and when he did it was usually to a sposie, which was fine, you can't make them do it your way. We have cloth for the new bub, OH works full time so it will be me doing 90%+ of the changes anyway and we are both fine with that. I think your nappy spending is excessive tbh, so I can see why he isn't getting on board from that side of things, maybe you need to assure him that you will control yourself this time, but that is your issue.
We found that actually what worked best in the end was the cheaper Little Lambs and so this time most of my stash is LL and I'm not bothered about that. I am trying to stick to function over how they look, after all, I can always stick a pretty wrap over the top ;)

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:09 pm

I was quite lucky with the twins as I wasnt drawn into all the WAHM nappies, but I did buy quite a few different types to try and that was what really bothered DH the most. That he wasnt sure what went with what.

This time round I've bought 15 or so Easyfits, and I'm just debating what i will get when its born. But i'll probably wait to see what kind of size he/she is before splashing out. Honestly I think its so easy to get drawn into all the pretty nappies but at the end of the day they all do the same job!

If you want to use cloth you may have to compromise your want for WAHM nappies, and get basic ones so that your DH is happy.

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:51 pm

littlesez wrote:I think it depends who is going to be doing the washing and nappy changes if its mostly you then its not really his choice. If you spend £700 on cloth what about using them for the next baby and what about when you sell them on? If you use sposies it is more than £700 anyway.

Exactly this!
If DH were to say something similar if/when we strike it lucky with baby no.2 I'd probably stomp on his toes ( :giggle: ) and tell him that unless he's going to take over responsibility for all nappy changing & care/washing that he doesn't have a choice :lookround:
If I remember rightly, your DH wasn't too keen on cloth when you first started with it, was he? But he's been kinda swayed over to cloth since then, hasn't he? So maybe he will be this time too... you've got another 8 ish months to work on him :wink:
Tbh, we're going to be in the same position as you re small nappies. We didn't start Erin in cloth till she was just shy of 6 months, so by-passed the smalls completely...

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks for all the replies :widesmile:

I do think I would try and find a cheaper alternative next time, although my love for WAHM however pretty was more so for absorbency than anything else, as I have never found any other fitteds that have been absorbent. LLs do hold up well but its the velcro that puts me off, I wish they did them with snaps and then they would be the perfect nappy :D Is there anything out there similar to LL with snaps? Was hoping Tots bots may have put snaps on their new Bamboozles but seems to only be the easyfits :(

DH hasn't said no to cloth but he said he doesn't see the point as its just more hassle and we will be constantly washing with a younger baby. I do the majority of nappy changes and all the nappy washes, although in the early days with Darcy DH did almost all nappy changes and washing etc. I think DH thinks its a bit of a faff, and would always reach for a disposable over cloth. I think if we kept our stash basic he would soon learn what was what and would be fine. I would love just to have a stash of easy fits so that he only has one thing to deal with but I would be reluctant to buy them after not getting on well with them with Darcy!

I think if Darcy had been a light wetter it would have been easier (and cheaper :roll: ) but she has been a power pee'er since about 9 months :giggle: The amount I have spent is bad I admit, but I have had so much trouble finding something that works. We only have a couple of custom nappies, all my other nappies were pre loved, and I also have tonnes of inserts which I use in wraps like a pre fold, so although we do have a few nice ones in there, I wouldn't say my spending is an 'issue', if I am just trying to find something that works, not trying to go out and spend a fortune on something that is going to be pooped in :giggle: and I do know of people who are much worse than me :hohoho:

I think if we had all the small nappies from Darcy it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but we are going to need to buy enough nappies to do up to about 20lb as thats the weight Darcy was when we started, so just need to work out the best way of doing it. I still think buying a load of LLs and a handful of wraps will be the best option, so will keep my eye out for some good deals and see where we go from there! I think I could sway DH if I make it simple and cheaper!

Thanks again for all your responses :widesmile:

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:47 am

Hannahboo wrote:and I do know of people who are much worse than me :hohoho:

Don't know what you mean... :hohoho:

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:52 am

doobykat wrote:
Hannahboo wrote:and I do know of people who are much worse than me :hohoho:

Don't know what you mean... :hohoho:

Hmmmmm really Liz :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
Yvette75
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Yvette75 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:35 pm

You change the nappies, you wash them, so your choice! My DH will change cloth when he is home by himself and put them in the washing machine if I ask him too but that's the limit of his participation. He openly admits that if it was down to him we'd use sposies, but not a single sposie has entered this house since August 2008!

Go for it!

Not all children are heavy wetters and you will probably find that with a newborn cloth is easier as they don't wet so much. Neither of mine have been particularly heavy wetters and i am hoping that number three is not either.

Yvette

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:46 pm

I started off with all plain fitteds and some funky wraps for the Mouse, and although I've been seduced by wahms and more expensive nappies, her stash is now back to 95% easyfits. Much easier to keep the stash simple, and they are the most reliable.

For Peanut's stash, we have plain fitteds and wraps and some teenyfits, and will just get him easyfits when he grows out of his nb stuff. I've really not been tempted by fancy nappies at all.

My husband did put his fut down about night nappies, because the ones we had to get were the super-duper expensive wahm ones, that needed loads of boosting and extra thick wraps and things, and because it took so long to dry, we needed loads. It was too much of a faff and was very expensive. So we just use disposables at night...

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat