hf1

Recession idea for newborn nappies

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Recession idea for newborn nappies

Postby ameliepoulin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Hello mamas, I had started a thread asking for the cheapest/slimmest/most reliable nappy option for a newborn, and the ideas there lead me to this great solution (I hope, that's why I am opening this thread, to double-check wth you ;), namely, why not use the foldable inserts that some pocket nappies come with as flat or prefold nappies? I am thinking the Wonderoo version 3 bamboo prefolds, the Pop-In night boosters and probably others that I don't own and haven't tried. Is it sound what I'm saying here, has any of you actually done this? I really wanted to buy more for the newborn stage, but either way I will end up spending money, which I am not really ready for at this point.
The other question that I have is, if I buy bamboo fabric (about 10.50 on ebay the 150x50 cm), I assume I can make 6 flat nappies, do I need them double layered for a newborn, you reckon?
Really looking forward for your ideas.

C.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Recession idea for newborn nappies

Postby Louise » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:01 pm

I think I'd just buy prefolds TBH, they're cheaper than pocket inserts generally (unless of course I already had pocket inserts laying around) and can always be used to stuff pockets later on too. I would probably double layer a terry for a nb as I found M was quite a heavy wetter when she was smaller.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:02 pm

I guess that could work, but I'd not do it myself as I'd prefer something a bit softer and with more 'give' on a newborn. I used basic cheap terries with my daughter as well as a few preloved fitteds, and they all worked as well as each other. I then used the terries in a pad fold with boosters to fill some pockets when she was bigger. Similar idea I guess!

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Louise wrote:I think I'd just buy prefolds TBH, they're cheaper than pocket inserts generally (unless of course I already had pocket inserts laying around) and can always be used to stuff pockets later on too. I would probably double layer a terry for a nb as I found M was quite a heavy wetter when she was smaller.

My nb was quite a heavy wetter but I didn't like the bulk of a double layer, so I popped a booster in between nappy and wrap.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:05 pm

Twinkletoes wrote:
Louise wrote:I think I'd just buy prefolds TBH, they're cheaper than pocket inserts generally (unless of course I already had pocket inserts laying around) and can always be used to stuff pockets later on too. I would probably double layer a terry for a nb as I found M was quite a heavy wetter when she was smaller.

My nb was quite a heavy wetter but I didn't like the bulk of a double layer, so I popped a booster in between nappy and wrap.

That might be a better idea. I don't do flat nappies so no experience of them but I don't like bulky nappies on a newborn at all. Itti mini boosters make great newborn boosters.

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby ameliepoulin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:20 pm

So many great ideas here, I am taking notes :)

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:22 pm

When my DD was newborn I got away with using boosters in the nappy wraps as she was a light wetter, but only for a week or so. You could use inserts, but use a fleece or paper liner on top of any microfibre ones, microfibre is not the nicest against the skin. Prefolds used as inserts work well, if a bit bulky, but they do the job! You can fold up facecloths and tea-towels, t-shirts, anything, to put in nappy wraps, as long as it's absorbent enough it doesn't really matter!

You can buy bamboo fabric from here too http://www.ecoearthfabrics.co.uk/showpr ... ct_id=8431 maybe a bit cheaper than ebay, depending on postage. If you are making a square flat nappy, 40cm square is fine for a newborn, 50cm for the next size up and 60cm square for toddlers. Take into account the hem allowance (unless you're serging the edges), and the fact that the fabric will shrink a couple of inches after being prewashed, it may be cheaper just to buy bamboo terries. You should get three newborn terries from a half metre of terry. This would make lovely newborn nappies, but not cheap http://www.ecoearthfabrics.co.uk/showpr ... ct_id=8481

If budget is what you're after, you may be as well to look out for preloved prefolds and terries - they are usually very cheap second hand and can be used to stuff pockets, as well as clean up general baby mess. You could also sew nappies (flat or fitted) from old towels and blankets you have in the house, there are tons of patterns and tutorials on the web. I made most of my son's newborn nappies from recycled fabrics and they did the job for next to nothing :D Do let us know how you get on! x

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby ameliepoulin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks so much Gayle for your brilliant ideas. I am tempted by the idea of making them myself, I have to do a serious rummage through my wardrobe and check what fabrics are suitable for newborn nappies. What did you use, I see flannel mentioned a lot and old t-shirts, does this type of fabric really do the job?

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:58 pm

flannel and old t-shirts will absorb as long as they are made from natural fabrics - cotton etc - although they are not as absorbent as terry/towels (all those little loops hold moisture!) I have used t-shirts mostly for the outer layer of fabric and the one next to baby's bum, for comfort, with toweling (facecloths, old tea towels etc) as the absorbent core. Fleece blankets can be chopped up to make the inner layer of nappy, not absorbent but wicks moisture away from the skin just like fleece liners.

Have you seen these?
http://fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html
http://webpages.charter.net/rhamley/dia ... rtext1.htm

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat