My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Bubblebubs Candies AI2 Review

Postby BingBongBoo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:58 pm

Bubblebubs Candies AI2 Review

Manufacturer: Bubblebubs
Nappy Name: Candies (previously known as Cute Tooshies)
Type of Nappy: AI2
Fastener: Sidesnap
Material: Minky/PUL outer, sudecloth inner, bamboo inserts
Size: Onesize

Reliability: 10/10 (Excellent for an A12)
Absorbency: 10/10
Cuteness: 8/10 (some may find the lack of prints disappointing)
Drying Speed: 7/10 (but not bad at all for bamboo)
Slimness: 8/10
Value for money: 10/10 (I got mine on sale for £11.99 each, the RRP is £16.50).

Overall Comment:
Highly recommended

Detailed Comments:
Bubblebubs Candies come in a choice of brightly coloured minky fabrics (Wine Gum and Spearmint are my favourites). They are a side snap onesize nappy and according to the manufacturers should fit babies from around 11 lbs up to 33 lbs. Each nappy comes with a snap-in bamboo trifold insert topped with sudecloth to keep baby comfy. An additional lay-in booster – again made of bamboo – is also included.

I was excited to try these nappies as they sounded a bit like a onesize Itti. Wing droop and insufficient absorbency has always been a problem for us with Ittis though so I was hopeful that the Candies would avoid these issues. On first inspection the Candies are a lovely nappy –they are so gorgeously squashy! The minky outer is lovely and plush and the inserts are made of good quality bamboo which is soft and snugly.

Front view (this colour is Spearmint)

Side view

Front view showing all the snaps

Nappy with the Inserts (trifold is in the nappy, booster is to the right)

This is the first onesize sidesnap nappy that I had come across and although I’d heard positive things about it, I wasn’t sure how it would work in practice. Actually, it works really well! There are 5 snap settings on each side of the nappy and because you can adjust the waist and the legs separately, it would be easy to get a snug fit on both chunky and slim babies. And no wing droop! M is currently 11 months old and is on the middle snap for both legs and waist. But it’s certainly a nappy with growing room. Just for fun, I tried it on my (potty trained) 3 year old and it fit her with a bit of room to spare (just to compare neither our Easyfits or BGs would do up around her waist).

I haven’t tested it on a much younger baby but if the snaps are on their tightest setting, the leg holes are really quite small so it would in all likelihood work well. Though it is worth keeping in mind that the Candies aren’t advertised as a birth-to potty-nappy and the manufacturers suggest that they work best for babies over 11 lbs.

On the largest snap setting

On the tightest snap setting

The fit of these is generally excellent on M – snug and trim without too much excess material. There is a little bit of elastic on the waistband of the nappy which I like as it helps to give a nice tight fit around the waist and means that we don’t get leaks at nap time (M is a tummy sleeper). There is however, a little bit of bagginess on the front of the nappy (above where the inserts end) which I couldn’t eliminate no matter I adjusted the fit. Not a big issue for me but I know that some Mamas really like that uber sleek look.

Front view: (colour is Wine Gum) Note: in all the pictures the nappy M is wearing is stuffed with both the trifold and the additional booster so you can see it at it's bulkiest.

Sitting (Mango Fizz)

In terms of absorbency, I’m very impressed. M is a medium wetter so doesn’t need the additional booster yet. The trifold insert by itself will do 3 hours easily. It’s nice to know that the extra booster is there for long car journeys or when she starts wetting more though. And I like the fact that you can fold the booster in half and place it exactly where needed. For a younger baby or light wetter, you could forgo the trifold insert and just use the booster by itself for a slimmer fit.

Spare insert/booster sets can be purchased separately so that you can re-use the shell by just snapping in fresh inserts. This isn’t something I’ve done, however. I’m not sure why as I have a couple of spare insert sets. I guess I just like each nappy to be completely fresh each time but this is obviously my little quirk and not the fault of the nappy! In terms of poo containment, the Candies came up trumps again. The second time that M wore one of these, she did a huge humdinger of a poo – yet all was contained within the nappy. One lesson is learned, however – and that is to tuck the excess material on the wings behind the insert and not in front. I didn’t – and M managed to get poo on them which made changing her rather unpleasant!

Sitting from the side (Bubblegum)

Standing (Lime Splice)

I’ve washed the Candies a few times now and they have washed beautifully so far. Being an AI2, you don’t have to fish around in the used nappy to pull out the inserts which is always a plus! The minky outer still looks lovely after several washes and the bamboo inserts are still butter soft with no hint of crunchiness. Even after drying on an airier, they feel so soft that you would honestly think they had just come out of a tumble dryer. The drying time is pretty good for bamboo as well. The trifold insert unsnaps into a square which speeds up drying time no end. The booster takes a little longer as it is 3 layers of bamboo. The outer shell dries in no time.

I haven’t had the Bubblebubs Candies for very long but they’ve quickly become one of my favourite nappies. In fact I’ve already bought some more. I’m really surprised they’re not more popular. They are both absorbent and cute – which is all you can want in a nappy really.
Last edited by BingBongBoo on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

My avatar
Fibefm
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Bubblebubs Candies AI2 Review

Postby Fibefm » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:37 am

I can completely second this review.
I am very new to the reusable world and last week and had stash to try that included Little Lamb, Wanderoos, Fuzzi Bunz, you name it. I then had a brilliant conversation by email with Millies Nappies and she told me about the BB. So I ordered one. It is awesome. I only had one so washed it, used it,it lastedf 3 hours easily on Erin (she is 8 Months and a little chunk!).I then noticed the outside was still dry, so chucked the boosters in the wash and put in the itti bitti ones so I could use it again! Yep, still brill. I then washed it to try at night - again, she is a 12 hour baby so this was a real good test. Perfect, no leaks.
So, yesterday I ordered 15!
I can definitely recommend them and also the service from both Millies Nappies and Nest Shop, other than you guys on here helping me, they have been the best "pros".
Hugely happy Mummy and Erin!!!
:yahoo:

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Bubblebubs Candies AI2 Review

Postby little1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:45 pm

Tried these on my 5 week old (9lb) super wetter last week and was suprised they fitted really well with no leg gape on the next to smallest setting (so may have fit earlier) . He pooped in it so not sure how long it would have lasted but contained everything well. The rise is quite large so had simon cowell pants look about it but otherwise the fit was suprisingly good.

Return to Pockets and AIO or AI2 Reviews