Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

GNappies

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:51 am

Manufacturer: gNappy
Nappy Name: gNappy
Type of Nappy: hybrid
Fastener: Velcro
Material: gPants 92% cotton and 8% spandex; gPouch is a breathable nylon; gRefills are made of cellulose rayon, fluffed wood pulp, and sodium polyacrylate (SAP) & gCloth are made of 2 layers of polyester microfleece and 2 layers of hemp/cotton
Size: sized newborn 2-4kg (6-10lbs), small 3-7kg (8-14lbs), medium 5-13kg (13-28lbs), large 10-17kg (22-36lbs) & extra large 15+kg (34+lbs)

Reliability: 10/10
Absorbency: 10/10
Cuteness: 10/10
Drying Speed: 10/10
Slimness: 10/10
Value for money: 8/10
Use: hybrid for holidays can be used with cloth or biodegradable insert.

Overall Comment:
Fabulous!

We visited the baby show on Sunday, although I had seen gNappies before DH didn't see why we needed them (I wanted them for holiday). DH looked very intrigued about them after watching the demonstration he said he thought they would be great for holiday and when Nannie is looking after DD. We ended up purchasing 5 gPants, 2 gPouches, 1 pack of gRefills and 1 pack of 6 gCloths to try.

gNappies are a hybrid nappy that bridges the best of both world between biodegradable disposables and cloth nappies. I would recommend hybrids for holidays abroad when you do not want to be hunting washing facilities.

How they work?
There are 3 parts to a gNappy:- gPant, gPouch and gCloth or gRefill.
The gPouch is popped into the gPant and the gRefill or gCloth is pushed into the gPouch. Then you put on baby ensuring the gPouch is right up in baby's leg creases (where knickers would go), Velcro tabs at the back (more about this later) and check gNappy is pulled up high enough.

The gPants are 92% cotton and 8% spandex. The gPouch is a breathable nylon. The gRefills are certified Cradle to Cradle so everything in them goes back into the earth in a positive or neutral way. They are made of cellulose rayon, fluffed wood pulp, and sodium polyacrylate (SAP). The cellulose rayon and fluffed wood pulp comes from sustainably grown and harvested softwood. Sodium polyacrylate (SAP) and is a green and non-toxic water absorbing polymer. The gRefill can go into your compost bin and will complete break down in 50-150 days. (Normal disposables take over 182,625 days or 500 years). The gCloth inserts are made of 2 layers of polyester microfleece and 2 layers of hemp/cotton.

The review
Right so loading the gNappy was very easy even though the inserts look like they won't fit at all, they do and make the gPouch form a 'u' shape. I tried the gCloth insert first, put it on Isla which was a little tricky at first because they do up at the back. You have to make sure you get the gPouch right into their knicker line (where pants would go). Isla fell asleep for 3.5 hours which I wasn't expecting, the gNappy held everything in really well. I got a slight leak at the back (by waist band) due to doing the nappy up too tight. But over 3 hours without a massive leak. When I tried again with another gCloth and ensured I could get two fingers under the band of the gPant it worked perfectly and got 2 hours with no leaks what so ever.

Next I tried the gRefills as I am desperate to use only this combination on holiday. They were easy to pop into the pouch, put it on Isla and remembered not to do it up too tight. She then fell asleep again (my daughter sleeps lots) for 2 hours. When she woke I changed her and she had done a poo. Well my first thought was I bet it's everywhere, as joys of breast feed poo is it's very runny. I have to say I was very impressed the pouch does it's job of catching any escaping mess and the gPant was spotless. I just clipped in a new gPouch and was off again with a new gRefill. This is going to be brilliant on holiday.

Well after trying both combinations of inserts for gNappies I have to say not only are these good for holiday they would be brilliant every day. I love the choice of colours for gPants as they are beautiful. I love that you can compost wet gRefills and that they don't contain nasty chemicals. The gCloth would be my favourite as it's so soft and lovely next to a baby's bum. Once you get the fit right they are super easy to use. I actually love that they do up at the back as it will make it harder for little monkey's to get them off. I have to say I found this nappy super reliable. The lovely thing about gNappies is their slimness they are one of the slimmest reusable nappies I've ever used. The gPant, gPouch and gCloth all wash really well and are super fast drying.

The cost of gNappies well you can buy a starter bundle for £31.95 which contains 2 gPants & a packet of gRefills. gPants are sized so the fit is much better. The sizes are newborn 2-4kg (6-10lbs) which popper down at the front for unbiblical cord, small 3-7kg (8-14lbs), medium 5-13kg (13-28lbs), large 10-17kg (22-36lbs) & extra large 15+kg (34+lbs). The gPouches, gRefills and gCloths come in two sizes n-s (newborn-small) and m-l-xl (medium, large and extra large) which means they will last longer. gPants have two prices £14.95 for block colours and £17.95 for pretties. The best thing is for full time use you only need 6-8 gNappies so considerably cheaper than some systems. To use gRefills all the time would be comparable to using premium brand nappies daily as they work out to be 23p each roughly.

Increasing absorbency
With gNappjes you can increase the absorbency very easily their website suggests a few methods and when I first read it I was a bit unsure as I needed a picture to help me out.

The sushi roll – tuck in one disposable insert like normal. Then take a second insert and roll up so it makes a smallish rectangle. Place it on top of the first insert, in the middle for girls, up front for boys.
Girl sushi roll- Image

Boy sushi roll- Image

Insert plus doubler – tuck in a cloth insert. Lay a disposable insert on top of the cloth insert.

Hemp sandwich – Using two cloth inserts, place the hemp sides together so that they're in the middle, fleece side faces baby's bum. With the g tickets on the inside of the sandwich. Then tuck them inside the gPant.

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: GNappies

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:18 pm

I have since brought another one called going to grandmas it's white lace with frills on the back.

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:27 pm

I've not tried yet as pregnant but got quite a g nappy stash already and can't wait to use!!

My avatar
TaniaM
Clothie
Clothie

Postby TaniaM » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:11 pm

I have used Gnappy among other Nappies when I have borrowed a nappy kit from Nappy Library.
This was a nappy I though I will choose to be the one and only I use, as I liked the idea of it being lightweight, breathable, nit in fitting, and apparently reducing the washing, but I have several concerns after trying it out:

1.Though it is slim the way it fits didn't work that well for us. We had a medium size nappy at 6 months ( our baby is big though). What I didn't like is that the waist area was quite hard against the skin with poppers, and velcro areas leaving impression. It felt a bit like there is too much going on under that cute cotton pants looking cover.

2.The G cloth was drying much slower than lets say a bumgenius, or babino mio insert. It was almost twice as slow.

3. This is plus or minus depending on the circumstances. You can def. see that the fabric of the pouch is breathable, and it really showed when nappy was a bit too full, as you can feel the humidity traveling through it in to the cover and trousers making clothes feel humid. Not wet though! I felt for colder weather this was probably not the best thing, as even if you change the insert, the rest of the clothes and a cover are still humid. So you end up changing the whole thing, which undermines the principle of it being 'a nappy on the go' and that 'you don't need to carry that much with you'.

4.I also heard nappy enthusiasts saying that the colours of the covers run, but my nappy was washed many times before, so I didn't notice that.

5.Another concern, with this nappy you have to upgrade sizes,and it is not cheap so it is def. a big downside for me.

6.The last thing is you have to wash insert at 60 and cover and pouch thing at 40, so that needs to be though of all the time.

On a good side, I have to say that surprisingly it didn't leak as much as you would expect looking at it, and held even poo quite well.

would I buy it? probably few for summer period as it is light weight and breathable, but I haven't decided yet as it is not cheap.

I would not rely on it as my main nappy kind for the night, or cold weather.

To mention what were my first choices:
for the night tots bots bumboozel
for out and about day time, time out I prefered bumgenius v4 with poppers.

Good luck

Return to Pockets and AIO or AI2 Reviews