Mothercare Smart Nappy

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Mothercare Smart nappy - Review

Postby Shevi » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:32 pm

Suprisingly good!!!
boring white, but seems to be well made and good quality. Like a G-Diaper, but pouch doesn't popper out, and there is more waterproofness in the 'band' of the pants (iyswim) so i didn't get wicking round the front band as i did with G's. Velcro at front, fold back tabs for laundry.
large is very large, no overlapping velcro.
reusable pad is tri fold. the 2 outer panels are 2 layers of microfibre, and the mid one is quilted i dont know what. i folded a bamboo booster in the middle just in case.
quilted bit seems to be stay dry, 4 hours later, his tush was dry and only half the insert was wet (not a heavy wetting time for him, but still good going)
Thats it i think!!!
Shevi

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Mothercare Smart Nappy

Postby Annette » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:53 am

Reliability: 4/10
absorbancy: 4/10
cuteness: 4/10
drying speed: 8/10
slimness: 7/10
value for money: 7/10

Overall comment: Don't go there.

This really doesn't suit Charlotte. I find the sizing weird - I have the large which is meant to be 20-30lbs, Charlotte is about 28lbs and yet I could cross the tabs over at the front (if they had crossover tabs). So I can't get a decent fit and therefore they just leak within no time at all. The inserts are interesting looking but too small and not absorbent enough. Oh and they only do white!

So not one I would recommend.

My avatar
Milliesmum2009
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Mothercare Smart Nappy

Postby Milliesmum2009 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:16 pm

I gave these nappies a really good try and then invested in the larger size as i thought the leakage problems i was having was due to the wrong size (bad fitting - gaping at the front really badly) after stuffing them with other things was unsuccessful. i found them STILL to leak terribly and STILL gape at the front and they really don't hold BF poo, maybe its just BF poo that they aren't so good with???

I agree with Annette above. I would invest in BG or the new totsbots AIO V2 i have found is very good as an easy use nappy. they are more expensive but work.

if anyone would like to buy the smart nappies i have 10 small and 10 medium - they must suit some babies as i had read a lot of positive reviews before buying them.

My avatar
CharlottesClan
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby CharlottesClan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:03 pm

Reliability: 2/10
absorbancy: 4/10
cuteness: 1/10
drying speed: 5/10
slimness: 3/10
value for money: 5/10

Overall comment: truly awful

not one I would recommend.

i tried these with my daughter, and again with my son. both times the fit was awful, they leaked all the time!
the inserts havent be preshrunken so when you wash them the cotton part shrinks and the microfibre doesnt, meaning the dont fold right then.
the outer constantly slips down at the front and up at the back, meaning the nappy is halfway up their back and not covering their bits at the front. i have NO idea why they do this, i tried stuffing differently, i tried sizing up and down in the outers, even putting them on backwards!

i am really angry that for alot of first time mums, this nappy could put them off completely. its only because this is my third child that ive just accepted they are a rubbish brand
because they are so readily available in actual stores alot of mums buy them, and the staff really push the birth to potty packs. which is really sad as i reckon probably 90% of those mums assume cloth nappies all leak and go straight for disposables :(

My avatar
StarryEyed50
Clothie
Clothie

Postby StarryEyed50 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:36 pm

Manufacturer - Mothercare
Nappy Name - Smart Nappy
Type of Nappy - AI2
Fastener - Aplix
Material - Outer - PUL. Insert - Cotton with stay-dry layer. (also comes with disposable insert)
Size - Large (20-30lb)

Reliability: 9/10
Absorbancy: 8/10
Cuteness: 2/10
Drying Speed: 8/10
Slimness: 7/10
Value for money: 8/10

Overall Comment: Recommended

Detailed Comments:
I bought this nappy on the off chance it would get me into cloth nappies. It did. The insert is a tri-fold with a quilted stay dry layer middle. I found the insert easy to use and the outer easy to fasten. I have used this nappy a few times on my lo and have had no leaks from it. It has leg gussets to help stop leaks. It's not the cutest nappy on the market, since they only come in white, but it does an adequate job. I have even used them overnight, with an added BG insert, with no leaks.
With the addition of the disposable insert, they come in really handy for holidays when no washing machine is available.

Return to Pockets and AIO or AI2 Reviews