Clothie
Clothie

Happy Heiny One Size Pocket Nappy

Postby AnnaG » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:47 pm

Manufacturer Happy Heiny
Nappy Name One size snap fastening
Type of Nappy
Fastener - Snap poppers
Material Fleece inside, no idea about front!
Size - One size

Reliability: 10/10
Absorbancy: 10/10
Cuteness: 9/10
Drying Speed: 8/10
Value for money: 9/10
Fabulous!

I LOVE this nappy! It has four different size settings, and is ridiculously easy to adjust. Poppers all the way, which suits me fine. It's secure and snug, and has never leaked. I really like the way the fastening at her legs seem really solid, not straining like some one-size nappies.The inserts are great - it came with two, and with both it lasted 13 hours at night with no leaks or discomfort.

It was £14, which I think is really reasonable. I got it in pink hibiscus, all four prints are gorgeous. The only thing I'd like to change is to add more prints! I'm ordering the other girl print next month....

This is a fantastic nappy - reliable, funky and comfortable. If they brought them out in lots of patterns/colours I'd buy every one.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Happy Heiny One Size Pocket Nappy

Postby smilinglou » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:54 pm

Manufacturer: Happy Heiny
Nappy Name: Happy Heiny One Size
Type of Nappy: Pocket, one size
Fastener - Aplix
Material: PUL, Fleece inner
Size: One size/birth to potty

Reliability: 10/10
Absorbancy: Depends what you stuff with
Cuteness: 9/10
Drying Speed: 9/10 (not including inserts)
Value for money: 10/10
A good nappy

I do love these nappies even since my pocket culling (I got fed up with inserts and sorting), these are cheap enough, they have a large amount of poppers to adjust the rise, 4 as I remember compared to 3 on most btp nappies, the highest rise is brilliant, I can see they would fit most sized baby (probably not really tiny babes but neither do most pockets/aio's) and I love the way the aplix tabs stretch so lovingly around the waste, it feels like a delight to put on even a wriggling lo.
I love the huge pocket for stuffing and you don't tend to get your hand stuck as you try to stuff an insert or two in like Bumgenius and others do. I love the colours, the outer fabric is almost shiny and they are so so squidgeable!!
The elastic is fantastic and I love how it fits around the thighs and waist, also I'm sure the elastic would be a whole lot easier to repair than Bumgenius.

Ok so there has to be some bad points:

The top of the inner where the pocket opens up flaps about a bit like Coolababies and I suspect is a symptom of the 'cheaper' nappy, you have to make sure it's stuffed into the nappy, Bumgenius don't seem to have this problem as they have a flap of the inner material covering the pocket gap, this can be annoying especially if other people are using the nappy and don't think to stuff it inside the nappy so a possible wicking issue there but I'm sure it would take a while with the inner being fleece and all (doesn't wick very quickly).
The inner may be fleece so is officially stay dry but....it's just not. Obviously it's drier than a lot of nappies without any stay dry e.g. tots bots easyfits, but I don't find fleece stays all that dry compared to suede cloth (again Bumgenius pocket/aio nappies have this) and so I'm probably biased and I am a fussy girl; these are not my first choice for the driest long term (we're talking over night, long hours in car etc) wearing nappies and if you're using the microfibre that a lot of nappies come with when new, then you will probably have problems, again hemp and bamboo are so much more absorbant & don't squish out moisture like mf, but this probably won't change the problem with the the fleece inner. Plus the fleece seems to stain easily and looks rougher after a while compared to the rest of the nappy.
Just to point out that the fleece probably isn't a huge problem to many as the dampness on the skin wouldn't be huge and if you're changing regularly then it's not a problem really. I think the fleece inner/thin fleece is a problem with cheaper nappies but if it keeps them cheap then I will try not to complain too much.

The aplix; it goes nasty after a while, it collects an excellent amount of fluff and hair and whatever else may happen to reside anywhere near where you put these nappies, the aplix also goes very grey and looks rough when you receive a 'good used condition' one of these, my point being the nappy stays perfect looking, but the aplix let's it down (same as the fleece). The ends of the velcro tabs don't stick as well as new after a while and this could cause the nappies to get stuck on others in the wash but I can't remember this being a huge problem, BUT the aplix still sticks fantastically well and compare aplix in this condition to Bumgenius aplix in this condition and the Happy Heiny is surely a winner.

I suppose if I'm being very picky and this probably is a bit mean but the microfibre inserts that come with the nappy as new are a negative point; mf just isn't that great as many already know, sadly people who are new to cloth may not understand that you can get other types of inserts and could be put off of cloth. Most nappies come with mf and that's just how it is so I won't make this an official complaint. :giggle:

Overall a fantastic nappy, with fantastic colours (and I think they do prints) that I still love to squidge and actually enjoy and look forward to putting on my lo! I love how these look fantastic on and stay looking good (apart from the points I made above).
Buy one, but get some hemp/bamboo inserts :wink:

Return to Pockets and AIO or AI2 Reviews