Absorbency: 10/10
Cuteness: 8/10
Drying Speed: 10/10
Slimness: 10/10
Value for money: 10/10

Overall Comment:
Change bag nappy!

Detailed Comments:
The Smartipants really is a work horse nappy. It is super reliable and can contain the messiest of messes!
The smart sleeve allows the insert to wriggle out in the wash so you don't have to touch it, which is a relief! And the insert is made from MF and is incredibly absorbent.
They are currently avaliable in a range of pastel colours, with brights coming in around April time.
This really is a change bag nappy for the fact that it is really reliable, slim fitting and a GREAT all rounder.
Not to mention they come in cheaper than the BG's.

My avatar
cumbrianlass
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Smartipants

Postby cumbrianlass » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:18 pm

Manufacturer: Smartipants
Nappy Name: Smartipants
Type of Nappy: Pocket
Fastener: Poppers
Material: PUL with Suedecloth inner
Size: One Size

Reliability: 10/10
Absorbency: 5/10
Cuteness: 6/10
Drying Speed: 8/10

Have been impressed with these far more than I thought I would be. Toby can outpee a lot of our old reliable nappies now or is such a chunk that the rise on them is not great which can lead to poo turtles or wicking. Super stuffed wonderoo V1s are the base of his usuable nappies now so when I heard that Smartipants were designed by the same woman I was hopeful, but ordered them expecting to be dissapointed.

The quality of these feels nice, nice thick suedcloth, good thick PUL and decent strong snaps, the last important with a toddler who likes to sleep naked if he can strip off :roll: The insert sits within a separate envelope which means the chances of wicking around the legs is a lot less - basically the nappy has a suedecloth inner, with the insert holder sewn on top of that so is double lined and means the insert does not rub right up against the leg gussets. The insert holder is also open both top and bottom which allows the insert to agitate out in the wash. Mommys Touch have the same feature and yes it does work, and I wish a lot more pockets had it too! the extra suedecloth layer does mean it takes a little longer to dry than most pocket shells but would still dry overnight.

The insert on these is woefully inadequate for all but the pre-weaned babies, which is probably why the price comes in lower than Bumgenius etc. It is one slim microfibre insert which is nice as a topper but that is about all. Expect to have to boost these. That said, I have to boost everything anyway so is nice not to have to pay for inserts I wont be using as I need to swap them for hemp. I'm using 2 easy peasy hemp in these with the microfibre on top and getting a good 3+ hours depending on juice intake. I did "stress test" and chickened out at just under 5 hours. Inserts were sodden but no leaks. Toby has also "helpfully" pooed in these a fair few times and everything contained very well.

Fit wise these are high in the rise, generous but still comparably slim fitting, even with the additional inserts in. They are on the last but one snap on my chunk but should hopefully last a fair while yet. No patterns, just solid colours and at the moment in the UK just pastels. Brighter colours have just been launched in the US and should be here soon. I had a friend who was coming over bring me some as I prefer the brights.

My avatar
mummymunchkin
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mummymunchkin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Reliability: 10/10
Absorbency: 8/10
Cuteness: 8/10
Drying Speed: 8/10

This has quickly become a firm favourite in our household for its trimness and reliability. When I first put one on our boy I was so thrilled with the fit which just seemed to be perfect and the nappy was so slim fitting. I still love the fit just as much now on the second size setting and considering we are on the largest setting for some other B2P's I am confident that the nappy with last to training.

The nappy only comes with one microfibre insert, but I have noticed that for a microfibre it is really pretty thirsty. Given, our baby is a really super soaker so we do tend to add a Tots Bots booster to our pockets, and do this mostly with our Smartipants too. This doesnt affect the trimness and just gives that extra boost. Even when the inserts are completely sopping wet in the nappies they have not leaked. I love the design and how the inserts are kept away from the edges of the nappy.

I also love love love how the inserts come out in the wash. I always have to tug the inserts out of our other pockets because they will mostly bunch up in the machine but these come out every time, even when ive stuffed extra inserts in the sleeve.

Although the design of them is plain, I do actually find them really cute looking on which I think it because of the logo on the back. Just looks really 'smart'! I also love the yellow, lilac and blue colours which are really nice tones, bring on the brighter colours though!

Drying speed is good, fairly standard for a microfibre pocket.

Value for money is good also and I like that the workmanship and quality is there (love the strong quality snaps too) because they are made in the USA and not China (we try to avoid China made as much as possible now)

Overall a real 'go to' nappy and I will most certainly be buying a load more when the new colours come in :thumbsup:

My avatar
fluffpuffin
Clothie
Clothie

Postby fluffpuffin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Reliability: 6/10
Absorbency: 4/10
Cuteness: 7/10
Drying Speed: 9/10
Slimness: 19/10
Value for money: 9/10

I wasn't at all impressed with this nappy. The fit is great and it is very slim-fitting but the absorbency just isn't enough for my heavy wetter. She outweed it in jut 1 1/2 hours. All of my other nappies are far more absorbent.

Another issue for us was moisture wicking onto outer clothes at the front and back where the pocket pokes out. Because the pocket has 2 openings it's very difficult to place the insert in it in a way so that no part of it pokes out. This meant that moisure wicked out - my LO is a tummy sleeper, so would wake with a damp belly after naps :( .

This nappy might work great for a light / medium wetter but just wasn't reliable enough for us.

Return to Pockets and AIO or AI2 Reviews