Re: Baba and Boo Series II Nappy

Postby NiceCupOfTea » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Style: 9/10
Absorbancy: 8/10
Ease of use: 9/10
Drying Time: 1010
Design: 9/10
Value for money: 10/10

I bought three of these nappies for £28.50 including postage and I've been really pleased with them. I have a 5 month old who is 15lb and a 2 year old who is around 2 stone and I've been using the nappies on both of them. My older daughter is a very heavy wetter and we have had a leak on a day when she drank a lot, but I get the same with all my other pocket nappies. I am definitely going to be buying some more.

The fit is really good on both children because there are so many poppers and I'm sure it would have fitted my 5mo earlier as it's not on the smallest setting though probably not right from birth.

We particularly like the giraffe print!

My avatar
TheWaterHorse
Clothie
Clothie

Postby TheWaterHorse » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:56 pm

Style: 8/10
Absorbancy: 8/10
Ease of use: 9/10
Drying Time: 10/10
Design: 7/10
Value for money: 9/10

I was also lucky enough to receive one of these for testing and I got a lovely green nappy with white spots that really suits my one year old daughter.

The nappy is a bit bigger than other pockets we have used and higher in the rise - my daughter is on the middle size in this whereas she is on the biggest on all her other nappies. For this reason, it looks like the nappy would last longer as a baby grows older and be less likely to be outgrown before potty training than some other pockets.

The inner fleece and outer PUL do feel slightly thinner / rougher than some other nappy brands, but is still very nice and given that this nappy costs around half of other nappy brands, this is hardly surprising. Poppers seem to be good quality and firm, and there are lots of different poppers meaning it is possible to vary the tightness around the leg and waist, which was useful in our case as my daughter has chubby thighs and a narrow waist.

As others have said, the actual pocket is a good size and has a nicely elasticated opening that helps to keep everything neat. Overall the nappy comes across as well made and of good quality.

The two microfibre inserts are as absorbant as similar inserts in other microfibre pockets e.g. bumgenius and can be poppered down neatly to make a good fit for when the nappy is on a smaller setting. I find that the nappy is quite bulky with both inserts in but that one insert alone usually lasts around 2.5 hours, so I can get away with using just one most of the time.

Containment has been good. We've had a little bit of wicking, but this was at the beginning when we getting used to the fit of the nappy and how tightly to popper it.

All in all, this nappy is good value for money and would make a good everyday nappy.

My avatar
mognpog
Clothie
Clothie

Baba and Boo Series II

Postby mognpog » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Manufacturer: Baba + Boo
Nappy Name : Series II (Geometric limited prints)
Type of Nappy :
Fastener:
Material: Minkee lined PUL
Size: Onesize

Reliability: 9/10
Absorbancy: 9/10
Cuteness 10/10
Drying Speed: 9/10
Slimness: 8/10
Value for money: 10/10

I always thought Baba+Boo were just another kind of those 'Ebay cheapies' untill I saw this beautiful and unusal black and white print and had to get one. To be honest only got this nappy on a purely on the basis that it looked amazing and was pleasently surprised to find that it performed brilliantly too.

Similar to Real Easy Nappies they have the diagonal popper fastening which, prevents wing droop and ensures a more snug fit. I did find that the poppers being arranged in this way meant that the nappy held in place better, unlike some pockets that tend to 'cave in on themselves' after an hour or so on an active baby. There are three rows of popper on the rise for adjustment from birth to potty (and anywhere in between) My only gripe with this particular feature is that each row consists of only two poppers, one on each side (like on a Tots Bots Easyfit) and not three. I don't know if anyone else has found this problematic but I always find that the front middle section of the nappy seems to bulge when lacking this additional popper.

This nappy comes complete with two long but adjustable boosters (think the big one from a Bumgenius pocket) which carry the Baba+Boo logo (detracting from the Ebay cheapy lable they tend to get)

With both of these used together got 4 hours dryness with no wicking onto clothing, and possibly would have got longer but I change routinely after 4 hours. This has been the case every time we have used it so far when using both boosters. They are a lot trimmer if you just use one, however this is a no no if you have a heavy wetter like I have. I could deffinately see this nappy being rather bulky on a newborn and I do think that the over all design would benefit if it had one large and one small booster, just for that extra boost when needed but without adding too much bulk. On a toddler they appear fine and we had no problems at all fitting trousers and tights over the top, I wouldn't catagorise them as 'waddle bottom nappies'.

The washing instructions say wash at 40, though I failed to read this beforehand and chucked it in with my Ittis's on a 60 wash, I was half expecting something terrible to happen (Ebay cheapy stigma) when I looked at the packaging with slight horror, however to my relief no colours had run and the Baba+Boo looked just as good as it did before and on further inspection it does say they can be washed at 60 too.

The outer fabric and the microfibre inserts seem to be the same good quality as other brands e.g Bumgenius, the inner fleece seems slighly thinner but its not a detriment as its still very soft and strong. I would like to see the option of bamboo or hemp boosters as I'm not overly keen on micro fibre, natural fibres are far more absorbent and give you the option to use overnight. I think more insert choices, and limited prints from Baba+Boo will stop people thinking of them as cheapies and see them for what they are; great value, and brilliant little nappies! At under £10 posted you cant go wrong with these.

My avatar
span78
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby span78 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Manufacturer: Baba and Boo
Nappy Name: Series II
Type of Nappy: pocket
Fastener: poppers
Material: pul outer (with 'minkee light' )
Size: one size/btp

Reliability: 10/10
Absorbency: 9/10
Cuteness: 8/10
Drying Speed: 10/10
Slimness: 9/10
Value for money: 9/10

Overall Comment: Fabulous!

Detailed Comments:
I won 3 of these (plus a wetbag) in the review competition and I also have a couple more of the standard series II. They have been fantastic so far and are probably our most reliable nappy, in a stash also containing Bum Genius, Flips, Easyfits, and Wee Notions (plus other random pretties). When I was building up my stash, pre baby, I got an original Baba & Boo but haven't yet used it as I was getting leg gape - the series II are a FAR better fit.
The thigh poppers are great for preventing wing droop, meaning a good fit around the thighs, and the elastic at the back has prevented many a poo leak up my little girls back!
We've just gone from crossing the poppers over at the front to the tighest setting without a crossover and haven't had any 'between poppers' issues so far. My husband, after a little 'tutorial' (ie use all 3 poppers on each side!) happily uses them.
We currently use one of the inserts with a Little Lamb bamboo booster underneath and this gives us at least 3 hours (would probably be more if I left it). This works out well too as I use the spare insert to have the same insert/booster combo with my Wee Notion pockets. We've had no wicking.
There is a good range of colours/prints in plain and minkee, with more designs coming along recently. The minkee isn't as plush as Blueberries/Wee Notions but I think this makes them a bit more slim fitting.
The nappies and inserts dry super fast so will be fab in winter (and autumn/spring) when indoor drying is the only option.
To be honest, if I was a sensible cloth user (but who is?), I'd have these nappies making up the majority of my stash. Sadly I can't stop myself lusting over pretties/customs etc so I'll have to get by with getting just a couple more (when PP funds allow).

I also have 2 of the 'Limited Edition' prints which, I have to say, are not as good. The prints are LOVELY but, at the moment, we're not getting a good fit around the thighs, proably as these have a slightly higher rise. These is also only 2 rows of poppers (instead of 3 on the standard nappies) for the rise so we end up with a 'pouch' sticking out at the front, which ruins the look somewhat! :giggle:

Previous

Return to Pockets and AIO or AI2 Reviews