hf1

Which cup should I try?

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Which cup should I try?

Postby Bugglyboo » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:32 pm

I am thinking about trying a menstrual cup but am clueless on brands. I think I've heard that Mooncups are less flexible than other brands.

Any recommendations? I think I would prefer a softer cup as I am pretty sensitive down there and anything stiff would annoy me.

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Which cup should I try?

Postby g murphy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:23 pm

I have a meluna and love it, they do different softnesses ( i think i may have made that word up lol) have a look on here and there is a guide that you can fill in to advise on the best cup for you. x

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Fab, thanks Gemma. I'll go and have a look now.

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:14 pm

I've had a meluna (classic soft) and a lunette. Much prefer the lunette. I have had issues getting a decent seal with the meluna, though I've read that enlarging the holes can help with this.

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:33 am

interesting @autumnalgirl I have never had problems with that except for the first ever time I used it. after that time i changed to the punch down fold for insertion rather that the c fold. x

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:20 pm

I'll have to investigate that one and see how I get on.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:01 am

@Bugglyboo I have a Mooncup and a Lunette. The Mooncup is a lot stiffer and thicker and I feel I get a better seal with it tbh. I do like the Lunette as it has a slightly larger capacity but I always feel less likely to leak with the Mooncup (I have crazy heavy periods). The Lunette I suppose is easier to insert due to it being softer / thinner. I think you'll be pleased with whatever you decide to do. I had really bad period pains which reduced significantly when I changed over to using the Mooncup. I spoke to my gynae here and in France about it and they both thought it was probably because of there being no fibres to irritate the cervix like on a tampon.

Let us know what you decide on and how you get on :)

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:50 am

I have a mooncup.
Decision was largely made as I have have had it for about 7 or 8 years, and there really wasn't a lot of choice at the time.
Like you @buggyloo, I was worried about it irritating, but it has never been a problem. The seal is great, and this has all stopped me from trying anything else.
Incidentally @clothmama, using a cup reduced my endometriosis symptoms by about 98% overnight.
I have also noticed that I get far less thrush than I used to, however if I am caught to use anything else, this will flare up within a day or 2. I'm guessing that I shouldn't be surprised that plastic rubbish irritating one's tender girly bits would do that :-S

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:51 pm

Another cup fan (recent convert) with a MeLuna, which is the only one I've tried. I do find it doesn't always open as well as I'd like but can sort that by turning it slightly. I also find folding it differently makes a difference to how well it opens. I've had pain free periods since starting to use it, which is a big change.

Return to Mums Things