hf1

Pill after childbirth

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Pill after childbirth

Postby Rae » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:16 pm

Strange enough title, but I didn't want to put too much info into it.
Anyway, before I had Kayleigh I was using cerazette as my pill. Was working well, and I didn't get a period. After having Kayleigh it doesn't seem to work the same. I get breakthru bleeding of slight spotting for a few days, then 2 weeks later I get a light flow period that lasts about 8 days. I was wondering if it would be worth my while getting to my GP and trying to get another pill that did have days when you were meant to bleed in order to get some order back into it. The other advantage of the pill for me is it lengthens my cycle. Without the pill I am running a 20-22 day cycle (with 7 of them bleeding) and with it, it extends to 28 days with only 4-5 bleeding. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:11 pm

i have plenty of thoughts!!!!
i have been on 5 different pills on the 6 years i have been married...minusing 2 pregancies, and the time it took to get preggy each time...and some were certaining better than others!!!
as it is, i have decided that i am better leaving my body to do as it pleases and have now invested in a diapragm (messy and not terribly romantic to stop and put it in, but soo much better than the 'me' that i am on the pill!!)
and i really think it is worth changing to see if there is something that suits you better now your body and hormaonal balances have changed
really tired, so will pop back tommorrow ansd add
shevi

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:19 am

I would say it is probably worth going back to the doctor to discuss your options. I don't know alot about them, only had 2 different ones - one before getting pg (which did have a 7 day break in it) and one while breastfeeding (which didn't but then my periods hadn't returned at that point anyway).

I think it is interesting that the 7 day break of some pills is not actually necessary, they only invented it that way for psychological reasons - apparently woman feel better having a monthly cycle??? and they thought it would be too difficult to introduce a pill in the beginning that stopped periods completely.

My avatar
lilylover
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby lilylover » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:23 am

Wow, sorry am I just daft but can you take the pill and not have periods? I have been on the pill (except when preg and bf obviously) since I was fifteen (had to as was on constant painkillers for abcess) but I have always had my monthly period. Does that mean that you just don't take the little red pills?

Sam...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:25 am

Do the red pills have anything in them Sam?

The pills I was on before I decided enough was enough you just had a break (took nothing) for seven days...

If you're on the injection or implant then I think (unless you're unlucky) you don't get bleeding as it's a constant flow of hormones...

Blooming daft saying we have a psychological need for AF!! :shock: :shock:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:42 am

lilylover wrote:Wow, sorry am I just daft but can you take the pill and not have periods? I have been on the pill (except when preg and bf obviously) since I was fifteen (had to as was on constant painkillers for abcess) but I have always had my monthly period. Does that mean that you just don't take the little red pills?

Sam...

Yep the red pills are just gulcose ones basically.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:56 am

Ha, I have not heard of that one before - is it so you don't forget to start taking them again. That is a good idea.

There are some pills now where you just take them constantly and therefore don't get a period. As I say, they thought in the beginning that woman would find this too strange :roll: but there are more available like this now.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:20 am

Charliemum wrote:There are some pills now where you just take them constantly and therefore don't get a period. As I say, they thought in the beginning that woman would find this too strange :roll: but there are more available like this now.

This is what I have at the moment, and when you don't get a period in a year it is great. But when you constantly get breakthrus it isn't wonderful.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:30 am

I had similar problems when I was on the pill for contracpetive purposes. If it was the mini pill (sounds like it is) then to be honest I don't think it ever worked properly as I was spotting and it only got worse as time went on. The other pill did the same after about 9 months as well. I thought it was just my body getting used to the medication and dose and fighting against it.

Def go back to dr and see what they say

Next

Return to Mums Things