hf1

cloth breast pads

My avatar
clothpenguin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clothpenguin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:58 pm

Oh Annette you sound so sad still about not be able to breastfeed :(

You are doing the best job you can and you adore your son and that is what matters, I know what its like to desperately want to breastfeed, that's where I am but I hate to think you are so sad when you did everything you could.

Ben is growing so well, I know he's not feeding at the breast but he's feeding well and growing like a mushroom and is adored. That's a job well done I think.

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ericaj1 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:03 pm

Hear hear Mrs CP!!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:50 pm

Thank you :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I am getting a lot better about it. My 'only' real thing about it now - even though it probably sounds really silly is, I am worried about what other people think - not people I know, but the judgement of other mums who I guess around my area expect everyone to be bf, the same as I guess I would have thought oh poor baby why aren't the bf when I saw a baby (how ever big or small) being bottle fed. Lukily I have a group of friends and groups to go to, but I haven't actually made or even know any other people who are just mums with their baby around the same age in my area at all - but I have all of you instead which I think is far better :wink:

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:04 pm

but to be honest, you only thought like that cos you weren't yet a mum, and its just one of the things that we aquire with the wisdom of life!....breastmilk may be the best food, but the full package is not always practical, possible or preferable for many reasons. i remeber being so apologic when i stopped breastfeeding taneli...not to him ,he was fine, but to all the other mummies, i seemed to need to remind the all, that i always intended to breastfeed, and expressed for 3 weeks hopeing id be able to re-establish bla bla bla (i'm even doing it again!!) until a mummy actually said to me, 'why are you apologising to me!?' and told me about her horror breastfeeding story, and about how she continued for a while, and then stopped and was so pleased!!!
i promise you that those mummies arn't thinking that, and if it does enter thrir mind its along with 'well thast why they make formula so good i suppose!!'

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:11 pm

Yes, the strange thing about it is I think I was mixed fed until about a yr, whereas my sister was jaundiced and I remember being 3yrs old seeing her in an incubator and she was formula fed almost from the start just like Ben. I have a higher qualification than her ie degree, but by far she is more clever than me :roll:

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:40 pm

we were all exclusivly breastfed till we wewre on cows milk except my baby bro who was born around the same time as i was really ill, so he was either mixed, or on formula from the start, or formaula from a few weeks old...and he is by far the cleverest of us...doesn't get ill either, no ear infections etc...granted he is diseased like me....but that is genetic and nothing to do with formula at all!! (although i have a doc who claims that Gaucher sufferers are more intelligent and attractive than your average person!!)

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:59 pm

AnnetteandBen wrote:Beck I have the pads I made when pg made of 2 layers of bamboo and 1 pul and 2 layers of hemp and 1 pul. I never had any reason to use them :cry: as I never even leaked let alone anything else. I'm happy to send them out to you as long as postage isn't too much for me. I can't remember how many I made but know I made quite a lot. I wil have a look and weigh them and if postage is say less than £3 then I will send them as a gift for you and little boy.

Thank you darl that woud be lovely :oops: :D :)

I know how you feel not being able to breastfeed I tried my hardest with Hannah and it just was not working at all (still get a little teary about it now), so I made the decision to put her on formula and she thrived. I worried to what people would think of me especially since dp's cousin bf all of hers til they were well over 1 (almost 3) but you have made the best decision for you and your family (and anyone how thinks anything else can bite there bums!)

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:47 am

Breastfeeding counsellors are there to talk things through whatever your breastfeeding circumstances. I won't start saying 'your baby's doing fine and that's what matters' because that made me mad as hell when I had to stop breastfeeding dd1, what about the risks for her? Yes she's OK now but she's throwing up and you don't know if she's going to be at higher risk of all the things that are higher risk, specially seeing as your son is adopted... (oh sorry it seems like I still have issues with my MIL, :lol: ) but I will say that you do the best you can with the information, support and resources you have in whatever you're situation, and really that is all that matters.

Anyway, back to the OP and I'll remember to talk to my LLL Leader friend about my issues some more sometime, lol. I got to the point where I would leak but only while baby was feeding on the other point and then I would just shove one in while I was fiddling about latching on and take it out afterwards, otherwise I got itchy nipples.

My avatar
ginchyworld
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby ginchyworld » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:36 am

beck wrote:
ginchyworld wrote:I'm all for cloth breast pads. i think I used disposable ones once and found them very sweaty, uncomfortable, and completely unabsorbent. Whereas I used my cloth ones constantly for 4 months and had no probs. I used a mix of hemp and cotton.

The ones I bought are fleece backed but would PUL be much better? Also how often did you need to change them compared to disp ones?

My hemp ones had no waterproof layer at all, in fact I'm not sure the cotton ones I had did either. Initially I was pretty much changing them every feed, but ended up being able to use the same ones all day by the end. I only used the disp ones once, I took them off after about an hour because they were completely useless and getting a cloth one! I honestly don't think there'd be much difference between fleece and PUL backed, although PUL backed might be a bit thinner.

PreviousNext

Return to Mums Things