breast pads

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi! I would definitely recommend bamboo ones, I have some and they're really absorbent, think I've seen wool ones somewhere too but can't remember where. I tend to leak out of one side when Katie is feeding from the other too. Sometimes I put a sterilised breast shell on the side she's not feeding from to collect the milk. I either then throw the milk away or pop it in one of those breastmilk freezer bags from Boots.
Louise

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:17 pm

samsmum wrote:yes, that's it. I don't remember leaking too much between feeds (apart from during the night), but it would literally squirt out the other side and I would get soaked. I found disposable pads a little better, but still not great- not sure I tried TT ones. I do want cloth really, but maybe I will have to use spossies at night. I remember many a night waking up and being drenched. I had to sleep on a waterproof mat! How pleasent. Would pressing down on one side cause blocked ducts?

I've not experienced any blocked ducts by pressing down on one side, mainly I think because Anna will usually feed from both sides, thus releasing the build up on the second boob. :D

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:00 pm

Pressing down... generally this is on the end of the nipple, in towards your chest. Lilypadz work in the same way by stopping the milk ejection reflex because of the pressure on your nipple. It doesn't cause blocked ducts and the research suggests that they can minimise many known problems in the first few weeks post birth, presumably by stopping oversupply issues. Personally I'm wary of anything that messes with supply in the early weeks as there's a theoretical 'ceiling effect' where basically your breasts are primed by the first few weeks to the capacity that they're capable of making for the rest of that breastfeeding relationship. Same goes, actually, for routines that restrict feeds in the early weeks.

ETA that after 6 weeks ish there's less risk to supply and any oversupply issues can then be worked on.

My avatar
samsmum
Clothie
Clothie

Postby samsmum » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:59 pm

Actually Sam was on a routine from about 1 week old, so when a feed was due I was full to bursting! I didn't have any problems with my supply though.

Thanks all for your replies. Very interesting reading.

Previous

Return to Mums Things