hf1

Kool-aid dying problem

My avatar
InkMinx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Kool-aid dying problem

Postby InkMinx » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:04 pm

So my first nappy making effort went through the washing machine last week on a 60degree wash and came out the machine a lovely sprucing white, which is all well and good . . . . apart from the fact that I had dyed it turquoise with kool-aid!

I had done as per instructions, mixing the kool-aid with water, applying to damp fabric then placing in a food bag and microwaving for 2 mins at a time (allowing it to cool in between until any fluid in the bag was clear.

Have a done something wrong? has anyone else had this happen?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Kool-aid dying problem

Postby Louise » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:11 pm

I've never done it but I am assuming your item was made from natural fabrics? Manmade ones like polyester don't take the dye. I just use dylon machine dye and dye fabric/clothes in the washing machine.

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:11 pm

Apparently kool aid doesn't work on cotton fabric just silk or wool.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Sunset wrote:Apparently kool aid doesn't work on cotton fabric just silk or wool.

I didn't know that!

In terms of what you did when I went to my dying class (for wool though) it had to be wet with water that had vinegar in it as the vinegar is what sets it.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:18 am

If kool aid is the same as procion dyes then it will dye animal fibres only as it contains citric acid if you want to dye plant fibres you need a different fixer

My avatar
InkMinx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby InkMinx » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:39 am

Ahhh I assumed it dyed all natural fabrics. At least I don't have to worry about it coming out of all my knitted stuff I made. The nappy is bamboo terry. I currently have the rest of the fabric stewing in some Dylon!

Return to DIY and share your projects!