Pfaff 1230 OL / Singer 14SH754 overlocker / serger

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Pfaff 1230 OL / Singer 14SH754 overlocker / serger

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:25 am

Lidl in Europe sells these overlockers but in some countries they are sold as a Pfaff and some as a Singer, as you can see they are exactly the same machine bar the colour on the end! From the reviews I've read they can be a bit tricky to get your tension right but are pretty good once you have it sorted!

Aeseldyr wrote:Me and the overlocker are finally starting to speak the same language :hohoho:

Can you teach me this mysterious language?? :giggle:

I've been using only 2 layers of cotton or knit jersey and I just can't get the edges right (they are a bit loopy out but don't seem to be pulling to one side or the other just not sitting nicely flush wiht the edge of the fabric.

What settings are you using for those materials? And the thicker projects you've been doing? Might help me not get so frustrated if I can start with what is working for you?

Also @Aeseldyr I tried to get your picture of your overlocker to add to the post but it wasn’t in your gallery?

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Overlocker tension Pfaff 1230 OL / Singer 14SH754

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:19 pm

Just on shortly from my moms :)
What I did was cut 4 30 cm long pieces of fabric about 4 cm wide. Then I made marks all the way down with 3 cm apart so I had 10 seperate fields.Then I put all tensions on 3 and readjust the far right one to 0, then I started and went on til the first mark, then put the tension on 1 and then 2 and so on. And then put the far right on 3 again and then the next thread on a new pieces of fabric and so on. It helps if you have 4 different colours of thread.
Afterwards you can see where the thread is best :thumbsup:
Remember to do it for each type of fabric you intent to use :) I have had most trouble with the stretchy fabrics

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:22 pm

When I have been on from my phone I have used an app for pics, but I will put them in my gallery when I am on from my computer :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:10 pm

Aeseldyr wrote:Just on shortly from my moms :)
What I did was cut 4 30 cm long pieces of fabric about 4 cm wide. Then I made marks all the way down with 3 cm apart so I had 10 seperate fields.Then I put all tensions on 3 and readjust the far right one to 0, then I started and went on til the first mark, then put the tension on 1 and then 2 and so on. And then put the far right on 3 again and then the next thread on a new pieces of fabric and so on. It helps if you have 4 different colours of thread.
Afterwards you can see where the thread is best :thumbsup:
Remember to do it for each type of fabric you intent to use :) I have had most trouble with the stretchy fabrics

I started that and got bored (but hadn't set is all up properly) I'm terrible I just want it to work!

Aeseldyr wrote:When I have been on from my phone I have used an app for pics, but I will put them in my gallery when I am on from my computer :giggle:

Ahhh I see that would be fab to have it later :thumbsup: ! You can upload straight from your phone into your post as well :D

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:31 am

I am totally like that - just want to get started. But after having loads of no good tension on the thread I decided to do the method above and it is so worth it - can always go back and look :thumbsup:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:36 am

Aeseldyr wrote:I am totally like that - just want to get started. But after having loads of no good tension on the thread I decided to do the method above and it is so worth it - can always go back and look :thumbsup:

OK OK you've convinced me!! I'll wait for a nasty wet day get a whole load of different material ready (saying that I really only use cottons and cotton knits so perhaps only need to do those to start with).

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:21 pm

I think I have put my overlocker pic in my gallery - if you wan't to add it :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:12 pm

Aeseldyr wrote:I think I have put my overlocker pic in my gallery - if you wan't to add it :)

Thank you - added it!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:42 am

And btw think I read somewhere that you where out of overlock-thread but you don't need the special kind. Talked to someone at a sewing shop and she said its totally unnecessary and you could just as well use the regular kind, like this and it works perfect

Pic not too sharp but I just took if of the internet :giggle:

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!