hf1

Marble LWI

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Marble LWI

Postby ems » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:23 pm

Most dyers over fix anyay, dripak is cheaper and its alot more accessible for most ppk to get hold of, and its incredibly cheap in bulk. Under 50p a kilo.

Anyway, its nothing really to do with the amount of fixer, its to do with the relationship between tempertuare and ph.

The idea is that you push the ph up as far as you can with the soda ash and heat. All you need is a ph monitor, or cheaper still buit not very accurate, litmus paper. You need 30 degrees and above for procion mx dyes. The warmer the water and sodium carbonate solution, the higher the ph... so starting as hot as you the material can take, the reaction takes place quickly, and as it cools the ph drops, dye can still fix as low as 30 degrees celcius. Starting hotter means you dont need as much sodium carbonate to up the PH too. Sodium carbonate's solubility is around 22 grams per 100ml of water at 20 degrees.. you need warmer water for it to be soluble.. anyway.........

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Although I usually dissolve the soda ash in warm water anyway, I top the water up with cold so I doubt its near 30 degrees by the time the fabric goes in... I'll remember that for next time though!

But Im a little confused...for swirl dyeing, I soak the fabric in soda ash first, then dry and then dye it...at which point the fabric is cold! Should I be adding the fabric to the soaking solution at a hot temp to get more fixer on it?

I guess as long as theres some sort of fixer in there, then the dye will get fixed fairly well anyway (Ive never had leaky dye probs and I use different methods every time, mostly because I cant remember what I did the last time :oops: )

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:05 pm

At the time you put your dye in the solution or over the fabric, it should be warm, for the best reaction to take place The point the dye gets into contact with the sodium carbonate is when the reaction is at its most aggresive :)

I'm not saying that it actually has to be warm, I'm saying that the warmer the sodium carbonate/h2o solution is to start the higher the ph, meaning the less S/C you need to use, the reaction is also quicker when its warmer though too..

If you use colder water.. you need more sodium carbonate to get the same ph.... ifswim!

You go get much differnt effects .. slow dying and fast dying.. play with it!!!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:30 pm

oh m,y gosh i dont think my squished and battered brain will take all that! basically i want to dye my organic cotton wipes, does anyone want to do them for me seriously :hohoho:

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:44 pm

oh hun I'm sorry I just like the science...

Really have a go at dying its really isn't difficult :) Find a jar, squish them in and go for it... or you could chuck them in the machine you can do LWI ( a bit!) in the machine too :) Find a sock or pair of tights you dont want...... stuff what ever you want inside it.. get everything nice and tight and stick it in the wash with a dylon sachet :)

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Wed May 05, 2010 2:13 pm

I did mine direct on my work top, just laid some foil/cling film over & did it there ... it's thick enough not to run anywhere so is fine, then just rolled up the foil when I'd finished :D
Didn't even have any dye :oops: but had fabric paint & that mixed with a little water & shaving foam seemed to do the trick ... here is my attempt at marble dyeing :D These vests are for my gorgeous niece Honey.

ImageImageImage

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Wed May 05, 2010 6:05 pm

oooooooooooh they are sooooooooooo cool :D :D :D
you clever lady you well done we love them we may have something simular on the go for Rufus :giggle: Peter was most confused at my request for shaving foam and rubber gloves :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Wed May 05, 2010 7:34 pm

princessliana wrote:Peter was most confused at my request for shaving foam and rubber gloves :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

:hohoho: David's first comment was 'is that my shaving foam!' :hohoho: not like he shaves often anyway! :giggle:

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Tue May 11, 2010 7:51 pm

Ok I was going to have a bash at dyeing Ruairidh's muslins but the linky not working now :(

I have dylon cold water dyes.

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and share your projects!