hf1

Getting sewing machine tension right.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Getting sewing machine tension right.

Postby ems » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:33 pm

Not a problem ;)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:09 am

I would never have thought of using a shim - makes perfect sense though thankyou!

My avatar
Vigornia
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Vigornia » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:56 pm

Quite pleased I stumbled upon this thread. My sewing machine has tension issues but I have no idea how to fix them! I have all the problems you've described, especially the bobbin thread getting all tangled up, but adjusting the tension dial does absolutely bugger all. I've scoured the manual and fiddled with it time and time again all to no avail. It might as well not have a tension dial at all. There is no difference to the sewing top thread/bobbin thread wise when you tighten or loosen the tension. I'm beginning to wonder if my sewing machine is just rubbish, especially as it's always been like it.

Any pearls of wisdom anyone? I seriously think a new sewing machine is in order once I stop spending on nappies ;)

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:33 am

I would ask your sewing machine shop to have a look at it.. on the basis of a quote before a service. Get them to take a look at it for you before they do anything. If its an easy fix, it jsut might be worth it, if its just had its day.. then they can say before you spend any money on it ;) While your there, you get the guys/girls to talk you through the machines that they sell too! ehhehee

My avatar
dippydee
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby dippydee » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:53 am

I am so glad i found this as mine is terrible and i felt to silly to ask :oops: i now know where i was going wrong so will go play :giggle:

My avatar
ClareBear
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ClareBear » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks this advice really helped. :yahoo:

My avatar
mammymade
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mammymade » Sat May 19, 2012 12:05 pm

I still struggle with tension even now and I've been sewing for quite a few years lol. I tend to just trial and error on a scrap piece of whatever material I am using at the time. I move the tension up and down as I am sewing and stop and check a few times to see which number looks best then I use that tension setting when I'm sewing the real thing.

I don't tend to use a shim either, I just press down on the front of the presser foot as I'm going over thick pieces to keep my presser foot level. Seems to work ok for me :)

Previous

Return to DIY and share your projects!