hf1

Really frustrated with my sewing machine

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Really frustrated with my sewing machine

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:11 pm

I don't know what I'm doing wrong :-? I've been trying to sew with knits recently, so I bought a walking foot and ballpoint needles. No matter what I do though, the thread loops and tangles crazily underneath the fabric. The walking foot barely feeds the fabric at all, it would just sew in the same spot over and over, so I started pulling the fabric gently through until I found out this can cause needle damage. I replaced the needle but it made no difference to how the machine works. It was worse with cheap thread but now I'm using (and apparently wasting) gutterman thread.

I'm threading it as properly as I can (with foot raised and making sure it catches where it's supposed to), I've fiddled endlessly with the tension, often it seems to be fine when I test it on scrap fabric but then continues it's tangle when I start on the project, or even halfway through a line of sewing. I tried switching back to the regular foot, still no luck, although it feeds the fabric a bit better. I try different stitches (although it's not clear when I've chosen a stretch stitch or a regular stitch so I can't be sure)

Its a pretty dusty machine, less than 10yrs old and it was an expensive one then. The manual has stupidly limited instructions and troubleshooting :roll: and Google doesn't yield much help either. Perhaps it needs serviced? It's really annoying me as I want to sew things, but it's depressing to see my nice fabric come out in a mess and have so many loops of thread, and in places where it's not loopy it tends to be very loose and break easily :-?

Can anyone help?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Really frustrated with my sewing machine

Postby Mareth » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:28 pm

If it's very dusty have you tried opening it up and cleaning where the feed dogs are? That could be causing all the tangling.

Return to DIY and share your projects!