hf1

The beginning of the end of mummymilk?

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

The beginning of the end of mummymilk?

Postby weebee » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:17 pm

I've been exclusively expressing milk for Rory since he was very teenie but I fear that he may be getting to the end of me providing mummy milk for him :cry: I've been feeling very unwell since Sunday with what I think is sinusitis. My face and head are pounding and the room won't stop spinning. Expressing milk is excruciating as I have to keep looking down at the pumps. One evening I even went to bed before expressing as I felt so awful- my head still pounded the next day and my boobs felt like they were going to explode :shock: I've hardly eaten anything since Sunday so between that, feeling rotten and not pumping as much my supply is dwindling. Last time I lost my supply (again through illness) I got it back through extra pumps and fenugreek. This time I don't have time the time for extra pumps as I'm now back at work :-? I have a freezer drawer full that'll last a couple of weeks and I'll keep expressing what I can but maybe now is the time to stop?! My heart says no but my head says yes!

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: The beginning of the end of mummymilk?

Postby KimmyM » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Didn't want to read and run :hug:

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:11 pm

Oh hun, I know how hard it is stopping BF, you sound like you have done amazingly to have expressed this long so you should feel very proud of yourself. I BF for 14 months and stopped for a couple of reasons, one being that the time just felt right, also because once my periods came back I found that my supply lowered and I found it really uncomfortable to feed on the weeks my period was here. Looking back now I have no regrets about stopping when I did. Everyone will have different opinions on this so you just have to do what you feel is best for you. Your little man is very close to 1 now so you could maybe start giving him cows milk once your stock of BM ran out instead of going to formula?

If it feels right I say go with it, you have to be happy and 10 months of BF is a fantastic start to Rory's life :thumbsup:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:13 pm

:hug: :hug:

You have done the most amazing thing by pumping for 10 months to give Rory the best start he could possibly have done with your mummy milk.
I think your dedication to this since he was born is utterly amazing and something you should be very very proud of.

When or how to stop bf is never an easy one. But I feel that there comes a time when it is right for you and baby to stop.
For some mum's this is on day one when feeding doesn't go to plan after a difficult delivery, for some it's when biting starts when teeth appear or when mummy goes back to work and can't express successfully.

No mum should be made to feel guilty or that they have let baby down by switching to formula.

I had to stop feeding James after I was in intensive care. It wasnt the way i wanted bf to stop but it was what I needed at the time. My milk supply was maintained but my body needed every ounce of energy, calories and sleep to recover - so switching to formula made sense for us at the time. The fact that James didn't batted an eyelid at the change & never "asked" me for mummy milk made it easier for me. 2 years on I cannot remember his last bf so that must have meant the transmission went smoothly (I'm sure I'd have remembered if it'd gone badly!)

Karen, if Rory could talk what would he want? I'm 100% sure he'd want you to think about yourself as much as him.
I understand your head versus heart feelings but you need to be well!

:hug: :hug:
Call me if you need a chat, shoulder, anything! You know I'm here for you xxx

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:57 pm

:hug: it needn't necessarily be the end.Could u pump as much as u feel able to whilst ill jusy to keep your supply going? Once u are feeling better would u be able to pump slightly more? I'm thinking u may be able to over a weekend or something to get supply back up a bit.You could always mix feed for a bit too so combine formula and bf so you wouldn't need to pump as often and therefore u may be able to express for longer. Hope u can work something out that u feel happy with. :hug:

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning