hf1

Hopefully this will help others - lip tie.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Hopefully this will help others - lip tie.

Postby laceybat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:20 am

you've done a fab job and you help my sister as i showed her this as her 6week old has been struggling with feeding but gain well and he has lip tie and now the HV and doctor are going to do something for her

thank you for shareing this as it will help alot of people

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:24 am

Well done for doing such a brilliant job - lip tie can make things very difficult. :hug: Iris has a lip tie - she now has gappy teeth. We BF for 18 months. :) But it was a nightmare to establish BF. I think her (undiagnosed) lip tie was part of the reason she ended up dehydrated and in SCBU after she was born. :(

Some other resources for lip and tongue ties:

More photos:
http://thefunnyshapedwoman.blogspot.com ... nulum.html

Blog entry on this lady's experience of feeding an infant with tongue tie:
http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/se ... ngue%20tie

Article on the effects of tongue ties on BF:
http://jhl.sagepub.com/content/20/4/409.abstract

Places in the UK that sort tongue tie:
http://www.unicef.org.uk/BabyFriendly/P ... e-divided/

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby weefywoo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:31 am

Well done Kim!! Carys doesn't seem to have any kind of tie but your post gives me hope as she does not stop feeding ever :roll:

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:05 am

Cara seems to have one too, its not as bad but she does have a gap in her teeth and it starts from the bottom of her gum! It might explain why I BF for 5 wks and she gained not even an ounce, she grow in length which made her look skinny :( I started combo feeding atthis point and within a few wks she decided she prefered the bottle more :roll:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:35 am

Go you, what a fantastic job you are doing. William had a tt but it thankfully stretched itself out and his lip tie doesn't cause any problems. The night time feeding and general unsettled sleeping has left me a crabbie, dull skinned, blobby mess!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:45 am

Nathan had a lip tie which has stretched itself.Lip ties aren't as easy to cut as tongue ties and a lot of surgeons don't recommend it until after adult teeth come through.

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:48 am

well done you! :thumbsup:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:49 am

We have a very similar story Kim. My eldest was hard to latch, very slow to gain weight & she fed fairly constantly. At 8 weeks, I was told by a medical professional that my determination to breastfeed was starving my child so after much crying we made a slow switch over to formula. I thought it was me. My boobs were to small, my nipples too large or I can't make milk. None of those were true.

During my second pregnancy, I read every breastfeeding book I could find. I went to LLL & set myself up with a support network & watched every "how to latch" video on the internet. I was very prepared but this time it was worse. Amelie was very difficult to latch. It was a full 2 weeks of crying & frustration from both of us. Amelie maybe latched on for 1-2 feeds a day. At the end of week 2, we went out for dinner & in the middle of the restaurant something clicked with us both & Amelie latched easier. I spent the next few days in bed with her. From then on, she latched for every feed but feeding was slow & she never seemed terribly full & wanted to feed every hour. She was slow to gain weight & the phn (hv in u.k) started putting pressure on & wanting to weigh her every couple of days. Again, I just thought it was supply issues because we weren't latching during the first couple of weeks when I was engorged. Things got easier, at least I thought they were, around the 8 week mark. I was still feeding every hour or 2. Amelie never really went longer than 2 hours between feeds. She fed constantly in the evenings, which Maddy did too so I took no notice & then we had regular feeding through the night as well. Amelie started to sleep through irregularly at 12 months. By 15mths she was sleeping through quite regularly & she self weaned at 19 months.

No one ever mentioned tongue or lip tie to me. The first time I'd heard them mentioned in relation to breastfeeding was when Kirsty had William & I can remember thinking "Gosh, that sounds familiar". I looked up tongue tie & realised neither of my girls have that. They can both lick their noses with their tongues :roll: A couple of weeks later, I saw someone mention upper lip tie & breastfeeding problems on facebook. A quick google image search & I knew that's what my girls have. Amelie's is worse than Maddy's.

At the age of 7, Maddy has a gap in her front teeth. She has her 2 new front teeth for the last 6 months & a baby front tooth, that won't fall out, sticking out perpendicular. I brought her to the dentist 3 months ago & they wanted to give it 6 months to fall out before pulling it so we should be getting a dentist appointment after the easter holidays.

Thank you for sharing your story Kim. Hopefully it will help someone with a newborn. I wish I'd heard of it when my 2 were still breastfeeding. I'm very proud of my 19months feeding Amelie & you should be proud of feeding Noah through it too. I feel the exact same as you. Would I do it again? Definitely!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Thank you!
We had similar experiences too. Dd1 had terrible reflux and wind (probably related). My dd2 had a tongue which was spotted and separated and led to better feeding but still had reflux, was unsettled and Didn t gain weight. She would latch then slide off, which is what dd1 did too.

I saw about lip tie on here last year and realised both mine have it.

Quite cross that we had the tongue tie separated when dd2 was three weeks old and no one even looked to check for lip tie or even mention it to me!

My friend has a 10 day old who she is struggling with the latch and I looked and he has lip tie so I ve given her all of the info. I hope it helps her and him with feeding.

PreviousNext

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning