hf1

Cut dairy out completely, or just cut down?

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Cut dairy out completely, or just cut down?

Postby Cyrillia » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Hey all,

I think that Jake is reacting to what I'm eating and, in particular, dairy. Lately I've been drinking a lot of frothy (decaf) coffees, and pigging out on the chocolate a little too much, and I'm really noticing a difference in how settled he is. It could be the caffeine that's doing it, but I think it's also the dairy. Should I try cutting it out completely, or is cutting down enough? The poor little fella's had about an hour's sleep all day today and has screamed when awake since about 10am. I can hear his tummy bubbling too. :(

Sarah

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Cut dairy out completely, or just cut down?

Postby BingBongBoo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:04 pm

If he really is reacting to dairy, then I think you need to cut it out completely TBH. I'm no expert though. Hopefully someone who is will be along soon! :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:40 pm

I'd cut it out completely, otherwise you won't know if its dairy that is the problem or not. If I had even a tiny amount of dairy or soya it would have the same effect on M. I would cut out both and then reintroduce soya to see if he is reacting to both. Check labels on everything as there is soya in quite a lot of things eg soya flour in most shop bought white bread and some brown. Whey powder/milk powder in a fair amount of cereals/biscuits etc.

You should notice a difference within 24-48 hours but it takes a while for it to be fully out of your system. It won't be forever, M can now tolerate me eating some dairy and can even eat a little herself although it results in some awful nappies :puke: :lol:

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:42 pm

His bum is really sore tonight, and I noticed some mucus in his nappy earlier so I think there's definitely something not right with him. I've read that mucus can be a further sign of allergy, so I think that something's definitely not agreeing with him. I've picked up some oat milk at Tesco's so will give that a try from the morning. He just won't settle at all tonight. DH has got him now as I'm just tired of pacing and rocking. :(

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Cyrillia wrote:His bum is really sore tonight, and I noticed some mucus in his nappy earlier so I think there's definitely something not right with him. I've read that mucus can be a further sign of allergy, so I think that something's definitely not agreeing with him. I've picked up some oat milk at Tesco's so will give that a try from the morning. He just won't settle at all tonight. DH has got him now as I'm just tired of pacing and rocking. :(

:hug: FC it makes a difference for you. The difference in M was amazing!

My avatar
emste76
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby emste76 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:35 pm

i cut out dairy with my dd2 as she would scream all day and only settle for about an hour day for the first few weeks and when i cut dairy out she was a different child.

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks all, he's sleeping now. I don't think it's over though, I think he's just passed out from the exhaustion of the day. Will let you know how I get on.

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning