hf1

Dumb question maybe - ouchy boobs

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Dumb question maybe - ouchy boobs

Postby epsilon1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Right. Now feeding has been going better recently (am cautiously optimistic, there have been false dawns before), I'm wondering:

Is it normal to ouch-y, firm, full feeling boobs most of the time between feeds? I've been so worn down by painful feedings and sore nipples until now that having boobs that hurt has been a very secondary concern, but it's been generally difficult (for example) to lie down comfortably at night because of how they feel. Every so often Junior will feed enough they get properly soft, but not often.

Normal, or does this sound like an over-supply thing? If it's relevant, when I had a brief go with expressing, there was never a problem getting some out, even at 'non-optimal' times - I mean it just about always feels like there'll be milk there. Started wondering after I read a link in another thread about over-supply (I have some of the symptoms but not all).

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Dumb question maybe - ouchy boobs

Postby Shaunie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:39 pm

It does sound like they are very full and this causes discomfort. I used to get it when LO didn't take full feeds or he went longer invetween feeds. It's very common and usually rectifies itself as your demand/supply settles again.

Do be mindful of any sore lumps or hot patches though incase you have blocked ducts which can lead to mastitis. Should you have any firm sore lumps, you can gently massage the area so as to release the blockage.

Woth engorged breasts I would stere clear of expressing by pump if you can unless desperate. I used to hand express to start the flow of milk and lie on my side on the bed with a folded towel beneath my boobs to soak up the milk. That way you are only releasing excess rather than pumping more than you need to, thus producing more milk!

HTH :D

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Finally a moment to reply properly!

Sounds like it should sort itself out then... One thing I've always been thankful for during my various travails is that I've not had mastitis (famous last words!) Suppose I can try hand expressing, although it's always something I flinch from doing, for some reason.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:11 pm

mine have been full latly but Ross isfeeding lot at the moment. i have very painful let down all the time at the moment. Ross feed till boobs are soft but the time next feed is due both are quite full again. and Ross only takes one side now so been doing what shaunie said

i hope it get less sore for you soon.

Glad its going better for you now

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:43 pm

I would only hand express for a minute or 2, long enough to start the flow of milk and then just let it drain naturally. That way it's only the excess you are encouraging out.

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning