hf1

What am I doing wrong?

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Postby clothsister » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:17 am

Her loss was 12.3% initially it was only by introducing an expressed feed that she started to put any on. The problem us she genuinely doesn't get a single ml directly from the breast. She literally won't latch or suck for longer than 2/3 seconds before pulling away. I can get her to latch for a lot longer with nipple shields on but she won't suck hard enough to get any out. :( I know it's my fault for giving her nipple confusion or whatever it's called but I can't starve her for my own mistake. I don't know how we are going to move breast feeding forward if she just won't latch on. The more I push her to do it the more frustrated she gets. X

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Postby MrC » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:05 am

Give us a bell if you are up and about at that time and need a chat. We're wide awake at that time.

Big :hug: I'm no expert as I've only had two, but I empathise as as J had terrible reflux. For a long time he wouldn't rest unless he was vertical. I know it's probably not the same thing but It did end eventually. FWIW here's me sending you and P a few good vibes :hug:

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:28 am

She's such an easy baby when she is fed, you can put her in her crib awake and she'll go off on her own. When she wakes she'll sort of just lie there and wait until you get up. The only time she cries is when she's hungry and the only time she SCREAMS Is when shems breast feeding. It was hard with Chloe to get her to feed but at least she didn't completely refuse.

I hate that we are prisoners in our own home. There's no way I can go out as would have nothing to feed her if she needs it or would have to miss expressing for that feed.

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:04 am

Ok we have managed a 10 minute latch with nipple shields though as without was an automatic refusal. She hasn't managed to get anything from me as couldn't hear her swallowing but I feel a bit better. X

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:09 am

Have you tried expressing down a bit so that she can a/ taste that that is where the milk comes from and b/ doesn't need to work as hard? Do you want me to call you, I've got cheap calls so it is no issue :hug: ?

clothsister wrote:the only time she SCREAMS Is when shems breast feeding

She is honestly probably picking up on your stress which will be making it all seem worse and is sounding like it is so high :hug: it will get better honestly :hug: When are you next getting help? Do you want to Skype your next feed?

Cross post just seen this!
Ok we have managed a 10 minute latch with nipple shields though as without was an automatic refusal. She hasn't managed to get anything from me as couldn't hear her swallowing but I feel a bit better. X

:yahoo: :yahoo: That is a step in the right direction! Some lactation consultants are really anti them but I think if they can get the baby on they are worth a go if it means you carry on feeding, once the issues are sorted you drop them :hug:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:22 am

clothmama wrote:Have you tried expressing down a bit so that she can a/ taste that that is where the milk comes from and b/ doesn't need to work as hard? Do you want me to call you, I've got cheap calls so it is no issue :hug: ?

clothsister wrote:the only time she SCREAMS Is when shems breast feeding

She is honestly probably picking up on your stress which will be making it all seem worse and is sounding like it is so high :hug: it will get better honestly :hug: When are you next getting help? Do you want to Skype your next feed?

Cross post just seen this!

:yahoo: :yahoo: That is a step in the right direction! Some lactation consultants are really anti them but I think if they can get the baby on they are worth a go if it means you carry on feeding, once the issues are sorted you drop them :hug:

I agree, a step in the right direction. :hug:
The early days are not easy at all. There is always someone about to listen. You are doing great!

If you want a loan of a stretchy sling I can send you my Moby xx

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:44 am

I was alsi going to say express a little onto the nipple so she can taste. If youve got a bitof a dflow going can you massage ypur breast whilst she is latched, almost express into her mouth?

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:07 am

Yeah have been expressing until let down and rubbing nipple and even expressing some into nipple shield and syringe and if she's losing interest squirting a little into her mouth. All the tricks of the trade lol. Just fed her and topped up. Having a quick express then nipping out as haven't left the house since getting back from hospital. X

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:26 am

Great news! I'm hoping getting out will help make you feel a lot better as well! Don't forget you are dealing with all this and have only had major abdo surgery less than a week ago!! You are doing fantastic! :cnthug:

PreviousNext

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning