hf1

Would like my fertility back.?

My avatar
poghag
Clothie
Clothie

Would like my fertility back.?

Postby poghag » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Hey Clothies! I'm double-posting something I also put on the LLL forum in search for more replies:

I know everybody will have very different experiences but I'm interested (most of my NCT group has almost fully weaned already, and allegedly their babies all just "gave up the boob" without a fuss (albeit I don't think any of the mums were avidly pro-breastfeeders and none co-slept)). My baby is 10 months old. I am starting to think about my options over the next few months if my periods still aren't back. I know it would be nice to wait and let nature take its course but I really would like another baby not too far apart for various reasons including my age (40).

I wondered if day-weaning could help... on busy days she can easily go without boob all day... but is it really the night weaning that will make all the difference? I've looked very briefly at the No Cry Sleep Solution webpage and it all seems like it could still be a bit of a long-drawn out process that I might not have the steel to get into as my sleep is absolutely fine... really not that keen to night wean so would love to know if people have had success with getting fertility back with just day weaning?

We co-sleep and baby loves to sucky herself back to sleep maybe 3 or 4 times after about 3am, and sometimes during those sucky periods she will draft long, hard gulps. I definitely think she gets more milk from me during this 3-6am period than she does over the rest of the day. I am no longer offering boob left, right and centre during the day and she happily goes to sleep in the sling without suckying although I always sucky her to sleep at night.

Or am I thinking about this too early? 4 months till what would be a 2 year gap by being pregnant by new year... I understand an "average" return to fertility is 14 months, but I look at many of the stats by people on here with 3-years-plus gaps between kids; I'd really love a smaller gap!

Would love to hear from anyone who had to actively modify their breastfeeding habits in order to space their children closer.

My avatar
poghag
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Would like my fertility back.?

Postby poghag » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:42 pm

This thread is relevant to my question, in case anybody else is interested:

http://www.llli.org/nb/nbmayjune04p114.html

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Not much help sorry. We concieved 13m after ds1 was born. A month after stopping feeding altogether. There is 22m between our two boys. Unfortunately I think there are no definates when talking fertility.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:17 pm

What an interesting question and thread on LLL's site. It is ironic that as a midwife I am so careful to make sure that people understand that BF isnt' a form of contraception yet it clearly has such an impact if you are wanting to conceive! Obviously it can and does happen as you can see with lots of tandem feeding mummies, obviously everyone has individual return to ovulation. I got my periods back 5-6 weeks post partum after every baby / miscarriage. It sounds like dropping some feeds can help the return without having to stop your LO feeding entirely at this stage :hug: I'll see if I can find out any more for you in any of my texts :hug:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:46 pm

It varies soooo much when people get their fertility and cycle back after having a baby!

I hadn't had a single period at all after having James, but when he was 15 months I conceived Eleanor!
One UPSI and no cycle- it's almost a miracle!

I know it's easy to say to relax, but try and not worry too much. It is possible to not have many periods and still ovulate.... Eleanor is proof of that!

I know you say you want a close age gap, but also think about whether you are really ready to stop/cut out breast feeds.
I wouldn't want you to regret stopping feeds later on and not be able to get your supply back up

My avatar
poghag
Clothie
Clothie

Postby poghag » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks for replies everyone. I've actually had one proper period since then so it looks like I'm doing ok with dropping daytime feeds somewhat and letting those delicious night suckles continue. Am charting temps and goo as in that Taking Charge of your Fertility book because it appeals to my inner geek. Ha! Watch this space!

My avatar
poghag
Clothie
Clothie

Postby poghag » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:13 pm

What's an UPSI? unprotected sex incident?

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:06 pm

poghag wrote:What's an UPSI? unprotected sex incident?

Unprotected sexual intercourse!
It is an actual recognised medical acronym!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:59 pm

Upsi!!! Sounds like 'oopsi'!

Next

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning