Ante-natal expressing of colostrum.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Ante-natal expressing of colostrum.

Postby clothmama » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:56 am

I've just done my first ante-natal expressing session! Didn’t get a single drop or glisten (didn't really expect to though!). I'm not sure what they are recommending in the UK but there are certain high risk groups that we are recommending collect some colostrum if they can / want to antenatally. The main ones being for diabetes (Type I, II or gestational) and elective CS. As I have gestational diabetes I've decided to go this route. Babies of diabetic mothers have their blood sugars taken after birth and if they are too low they are at increased risk of needing formula if there is no breast milk available. I'd really rather he didn't have any formula as they have discovered that even just one feed can strip the beneficial lining laid down by colostrum in the whole intestinal tract and gut.

The recommendation is to start from 36 weeks starting with 3-5 minutes each side a few times a day. I've just done 5 mins each side and probably won't again until the morning. I'm interested to see when I'll actually get anything out! There is currently a big study being done on the benefits of this practice which I'm looking forward to reading the results of when they are published.

If anyone is interested there is more information from the Australian Breastfeeding Association here:
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... -colostrum

Has anyone else done this? Did you get much colostrum out?

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Ante-natal expressing of colostrum.

Postby clothsister » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:47 am

Listen to your body, I got more out when I felt the tingly feeling. Cwtch up to Louis before doing it. Or cuddle a young baby. I would feel a sort of fizzing sensation on my nipples and then I would express.

No it's not practiced in the uk other than gestational diabetes but they were supportive if letting me do it. Although I never used mine DH threw some out last week and I was gutted. I still have some in the freezer.
X

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:48 am

Can you start fenugreek already??

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:53 am

@clothmama, can you tell me a but more about this. I've not heard of it, but probably need to come to terms with the possibility of another c section...
Very leaky already so shouldn't be a problem? ;)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:00 pm

cuppachaplz wrote:@clothmama, can you tell me a but more about this. I've not heard of it, but probably need to come to terms with the possibility of another c section...
Very leaky already so shouldn't be a problem? ;)

I've never had a leak antenatally so I'm really not sure how I'll get on! I've had some girls arrive at the hospital with quite significant amounts (hundreds of mls!) but many with just a few mls collected. Do you know how to hand express @cuppachaplz ? The idea is to hand express 3-5 minutes per breast a couple of times a day from 36 weeks and build up from there. You need some sterile syringes to collect and store in the freezer. Here is a document with the policy from a hospital here in Oz for you to have a read through which has indications and contra-indications :
http://www.grhc.org.au/document-library ... -maternity.

As it says do make sure you discuss it with your main caregiver (MW or OBs) and get the go ahead before you do it. If a CS looks likely it certainly puts you in the group for doing it. It means if you are held up in recovery or your milk is slow coming in (which is a side effect of a CS) you'll have some back up :)

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:02 pm

Thankyou so much for the reply @clothmama.

I didn't have any problem with milk supply last time; I had to express to shrink enough to feed at one point, and Jacob gained 1lb in the first 5 days, so I must have had loads! 2 late miscarriages both required medication to dry up milk, so milk supply doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

The way I'm feeling today, will be happy if i GET to 36 weeks, but I will certainly ask what the recommendations are here. Thanks again :)

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:47 pm

This is really interesting Tory keep us posted with how it goes.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:44 pm

Just done this mornings session, so 2nd all up - 5 mins each side. First side I got a drop (not enough to collect yet!) and 2nd side I got a glisten :yahoo: :yahoo: :bf: wasn’t' expecting that for a while yet!!! Really pleased and given me hope that I will be able to build a little supply up!

We have pretty strict blood sugar levels at work that baby has to be over so at least if I have a few mls I should be able avoid formula! Apparently it takes just 1 ml of EBM to lift blood sugars by 1 m/mol which unless they are crazy low would get most babies into the 'allowed' range!

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:00 am

This is so interesting @clothmama
I'll ask my consultant, and the midwives on Monday (think I'm just in and out for steroid injection today)

I'm not familiar with hand expressing; was full enough and leaky enough a couple of weeks ago that I think I could express with a pump?
That said, since all the weight loss, boobs have shrunk dramatically :( , and no leakage
I guess if pre-term labour happens that will kick start lactation? I hope so, will be devastated if all this means I can't :bf:
I guess too, that all of this relies on my making it to 36 weeks. 2w 6d today - fingers crossed (oh, and legs crossed :giggle: )
I will ask, but I assume that any attempts before then might aid in triggering pre-term labour, so best avoided?

Hoping this continues to go well for you. I will continue to follow with interest. Thanks again :thumbsup:

Next

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning