hf1

Weaning nightmare #2

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Weaning nightmare #2

Postby clothsister » Wed May 20, 2015 4:47 pm

I'm starting to get really worried. Penelope is 9 months old and still bf and she is interested in food but she doesn't seem 'able' to eat it. It's like her tongue thrust is still too prominent and spits food back out on her. She refuses purée point blank even the smooth ones, she literally hasn't taken a proper mouth of food ever.

She has really mucussy/diarrhoea/yellow curry sauce nappies (all the time, she had never had a remotely Bob breast milk non mucus one) which GP and HV both put down as her gut getting used to food but I don't think I believe that as she doesn't eat. I have a friend whose little one has allergies and she's suggested cutting out wheat for 10 days just in case it makes any difference. Any one got any advise as I am in bits. I'm back at work now so I feel like she starves whilst I'm away then catches up with bm when I am back which means I don't get any sleep.

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Weaning nightmare #2

Postby Sunset » Wed May 20, 2015 7:01 pm

She possibly is get some food even when it seems as if they are wearing most of it. If you gave her yogurt in a bowl without a spoon, would she put her hands in the bowl and lick her fingers? When she sucks on a banana does she have what looks like black spiders in her poo? Those spiders are bits of banana, when Isaiah started weaning it often looked like he wasn't eating anything but I did spiders after he had banana which meant he was digesting something.
It does take some children longer to get into to food, one day it will just click for her.
If you are worried about her nappies I would mention it again to the hv and see what they say.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:22 pm

Does she put non food items in her mouth? Empty spoons, toys, dummy etc? It could be a sensory thing... Does she take a bottle whilst you're out?

Have you tried messy play with food? Nice scented, different feeling foods?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu May 21, 2015 8:17 am

Oh Luc' :cnthug: so sorry to hear you are still struggling with it :hug: I don't really have any suggestions as my boys have all been piggy's but what Joy and Emily have said makes sense.

Will she eat anything? If she does like some things, in what form will she have a bit?

How is Anna going looking after her? I'm guessing back to work has not been a ball of laughs :hug: :hug: @clothsister I'm back on my French mobile, just text me if you want me to call you for a vent :hug: Love you xx

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu May 21, 2015 11:31 am

You mentioned refusing purees how about whole foods ?

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Thu May 21, 2015 5:51 pm

Whole foods she will sort of put in her mouth but pulls it back out. A friend watched her eat yesterday and she had said the same, that she was probably getting more than I thought but after she watched she agreed she's not getting anything. (She's a midwife with a Daughter the same age as P so she had a good comparison). With yogurts or purée's she initially attempts to put them in her mouth but when she tries to swallow she sort of accidentally pushes the food forward with her tongue. She then refused point blank a second mouthful. @ems101 everything goes into her mouth, she especially loves paper lol but it all comes back out again. @Sunset she is offered banana every day but no spiders.

She's a good dummy sucker, which I am pleased about because she still isn't keen on bottles @clothmama I text you yesterday about Lou, was that the right number.

I wonder if I can get a video to show of her eating. X

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:49 pm

I think I'd put out a big picnic blanket and loads of bits and pieces and just let her try everything. Watch carefully to see what she returns to and give minimal input, just sit back and watch! She clearly can swallow, she's not afraid to put things in her mouth, she's just unnerved by the New stuff. We should remember the tough start she had feeding wise, so she's bound to be cautious with new things. Will she take formula from a bottle or a cup? I'd mostly worry about not consuming any liquids if you're or several hours

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Fri May 22, 2015 6:31 am

I agree with ems, I would just put food out and let her explore. I wouldn't try and spoon feed her, just let her get her hands in and let her get used to the sensation of different foods.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri May 22, 2015 7:11 am

Leon didn't eat properly till about 15 months. However it didn't matter as he breastfed constantly. Are you working full time ? How many hours away? Could you persevere with a bottle ?

Next

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning