hf1

Pump arrived :)

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Pump arrived :)

Postby LynniferT » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:40 pm

Right, my breast pump arrived and obviously i need to wash and sterilise the parts. So those of you with the ameda lactaline...which bits can i wash? All of it? It says not to do tubing and end cap but i dont know if these come into contact with milk ...and why cant i wash them? they are plastic :(

It says to boil them to sterilise...does anyone microwave sterilise theirs?

Also when should i try expressing? After a feed, during or inbetween, what works best? My boobs seem most full in the morning so should i do it then? Or wait til he sleeps in the evening and do it?

I'm stupidly excited to see if i can get more milk than a manual pump :giggle:

These are the bits....

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Pump arrived :)

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:38 pm

I :love: the ameda lactaline
I absolutely hammered mine whilst working full time and still :bf: James and expressing for nursery

This was the simplest way to explain what you can and cannot wash!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:54 pm

I used the steam sterilser with mine and it was fine Lynne. I think I checked it with Lucy before I did!

Why can't you wash those bits @docmaggoo ? I don't think I have as they don't come in contact with milk but didn't realise that you actually can't!

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:01 pm

Thanks @docmaggoo :)

I think im going to have to either boil (in a pan) or cold sterilise as i only have my microwave steriliser and it says you can't use that :(

Was yours an electric steam steriliser? @clothmama

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:39 pm

I've washed all the bits of mine. The instructions said to cold sterilise the tube, so that's what I did. I used it as a siphon to fill it so it could be submerged and sterilised.
Mind is the spectra, which is very similar, only cheaper, so I assume the same applies

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:54 pm

LynniferT wrote:Thanks @docmaggoo :)

I think im going to have to either boil (in a pan) or cold sterilise as i only have my microwave steriliser and it says you can't use that :(

Was yours an electric steam steriliser? @clothmama

No mine is a microwave one too. I didn't read the instructions!

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:48 pm

Although a lot of people do the opposite I always expressed when I had a very full boob BEFORE feeding Bubs from that side. First thing in the morning always worked best for me. If you can co-ordinate pumping and feeding at the same time that would be great but I struggled with that. On the odd occasion I waited until after feeding I got a tiny fraction of the volume than if I pumped before and I took ages.
I found no matter how much I expressed bubs could always get more milk out even when boob seemed empty from pumping. She's always had a strong suck though so possibly some newborns might find it harder.

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:56 am

Mine's a microwave one too and I always (and still do) use it to sterilise this. (Oops!) xxx

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 am

I decided to just go with the microwave sterilser and nothing untoward has happened to the plastic.
If you can boil the bits in a pan for 20 mins, i figured that 4 mins in the microwave couldnt hurt ;)

I pumped for the 1st time yesterday to to get an idea of how it works and got 2 oz. Going to try again this morning :)

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning