hf1

Going away for 3 days without BF toddler.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Going away for 3 days without BF toddler.

Postby clothmama » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:02 am

If I fly to the UK on Sunday (which is looking pretty likely at this stage :( ) I'm just not going to be able to take Remy with me which I'm finding really stressful as I've only ever been away from him for about 3 hours and this will be 3 days! He has just turned 22 months and I'd always said I'd feed until 2. After lots of thinking about it I don't think I'm quite ready to stop (and very much doubt he is!) but not sure if being away for 3 days will make him stop anyway. On the other hand we are so close to the 2 years that part of me thinks I should just use it as a stopping time but then don't want him to feel like he's been abandoned for 3 days and then loosing his :bf: as well. I just don't know what is for the best :eek: We normally have a feed before his nap, then before bed then often once in the night, sometimes he naps in the car so misses that one or sleeps through. I will hand express once a day as I dont' want to loose my milk. No idea how J and the kids are going to cope with him and get him to sleep :-? but I bet it isn't as bad as I'm imagining it to be :cry:

What do you guys think?

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Going away for 3 days without BF toddler.

Postby confusinglady » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:38 am

:hug:
I suppose the thing is you have to go ( I m presuming due to your dad? :hug:)
, he can't go with you, so you can't do much about the situation.
How about not offering a feed from you before nap up until you go now and see how that goes? Can J start settling him before a nap today to see how that goes? Or actually maybe just carry on as normal up until you go so that he's not unsettled as you have enough to sort.

The thing is whilst you're there he ll want you I suppose, when kids have no choice they might accept other options.

I suspect it's going to be way more traumatic for you than him! Joel will cope as I m sure he's probably said to you too. If he doesn't settle for a few days it will all be manageable.

He may reject you when you get back but if you're prepared for that it might be easier. It was always going to be traumatic to end such a big thing so maybe this is a good opportunity, see how it goes, you don't have to decide now.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:04 am

Oh Tory, it's a horrible situation and I can see that you are trying to work out what is best for everyone.

You need to go and unfortunately Remy can't, so it's about putting things in place to help manage the situation.

I am sure @MrC and the boys will do everything they can to make it as smooth as possible.

- Have they got lots of other things Remy likes to distract him with - toys, games, songs, TV?
- Will Remy take expressed milk in a cup?
- Would Remy having a piece of your clothing be helpful?

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:19 am

Oh I love the clothing idea, an unwashed nightie or something to put between the person settling and Remy?

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning