hf1

Really not enjoying BF... :( mini update P4

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Really not enjoying BF... :( mini update P4

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:49 pm

Okay so I don't remember it being this hard with Isabelle and she had reflux too and wasn't medicated...

Grace really seems to fight feeding and it's a battle to get her to latch on and feed properly... :?
I'm going to get her weighed tomorrow to check she's getting enough but she's not dehydrated so she's clearly feeding enough for that...

I'm just so exhausted and fedup of fighting a baby who latches then pulls off screaming...

Do you think perhaps her meds need changing?

She's not being sick anymore (thankgoodness!) but seems to HATE feeding and although it's easier with a pillow she's a menace to latch on and I just yelled at her as she's clearly hungry but won't stay latched on to feed!
I can express into her mouth a bit but she still won't take that as a hint to latch on...

I haven't tried a bottle yet because I don't seem to have time to express and I'd really rather not give formula esp as she's got reflux as it could aggravate matters...
I also would feel weirdly detached if I didn't :bf: her (not intended as a slight on those who do bottle feed) and I'm not sure I could cope with adding that to how I'm feeling at the moment...

I'm just so fedup :cry:

She's currently screaming her head off in the pram while I type this :oops: :x Off to go cuddle my cranky baby :cry:

Edit to add that she refuses to latch properly too so gulps air and screams with wind pain until she burps...
And the bf group is on mondays so I can't go as I'd have to take Isabelle...

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Really not enjoying BF... :(

Postby tanya » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:56 pm

:hug: :hug: Steph

What meds is she on atm for the reflux? It does sound as though her tummy is still hurting her.

Is there any chance she may be Lactose Intolerant too? Nasty nappies etc? Could explain why she really dislikes feeding.

Can't offer any advice re: b'feeding as we never really managed it.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:59 pm

I don't have any advice I am afraid as I haven't experience of this but wanted to send some :hug: :hug: Hope it improves. Where is the bf group - perhaps I could entertain Isabelle for you?

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:04 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: Steph, no advice re breastfeeding as I didn't succeed in getting it established with Harriet. Didn't want to just read and run. Hoping that someone a bit more experienced can help :hug: :hug:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:12 pm

I could have written your post last week :( :hug: Im sorry your having such a rough time, poor little grace, it does seem as she is uncomfortable :(

Kieren would gulp air, scream, burp, scream, gulp air etc etc etc and then after all that he would throw up what i had maanged to get him to take... i know how frustrating it all is, have you spoken to your HV? Maybe they have some other ideas for helping? (mine HV was a crock of poo when it came to BF'ing). Have you tried feeding differently? (im sure you have, i hope i dont sound stupid or rude im just trying to think of anything that might help). I read that if they have to feed 'uphill' rather than laid by your side that it can help...I found the rugby ball latch or whatever its called easiest for this...then he would gulp less air and latch better...

I gave up at the weekend so I dont have any advice with regards to helping things get better...I just couldnt take it anymore...I was miserable, so was he and didnt want to be :(

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:16 pm

The BF group is at St.Mary's central Mcr...
I've found out there is one on a wednesday in Levenshulme so will look at busses and might try and go next week... (although that's a week away)
Perhaps I should just ring LLL tho' not sure how they can help over the phone!

tanya2007 wrote:What meds is she on atm for the reflux? It does sound as though her tummy is still hurting her.

Is there any chance she may be Lactose Intolerant too? Nasty nappies etc? Could explain why she really dislikes feeding

Nappies are fine - she goes once a week and it's browny-yellow and smooth&viscous (TMI!) and it doesn't appear to be worse when I eat more dairy... (altho' I've never had a dairy free day...)
Tomatoes do seem to be a bit of a trigger sadly...
She's on Ranatidine and Domperidone at the moment... Dosages are fine as I've had them checked recently...

And I've spoken to my HV who was worse than useless... Think chocolate teapot :x
I think she sees me as 'coping' so doesn't bother to try and think of anything useful!
I've tried every hold/position under the sun... :babyrolleyes:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:17 pm

Just to add that right now is the worst time of day :babyrolleyes:

My avatar
MaryMoon
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby MaryMoon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi Steph and :hug: :hug: :hug:

You have done amazing to still be :bf: when you have obviously had a tough time of it so please congratulate yourself :wine:

As for not latching on it sounds like it could be the reflux that is bothering her and not knowing much about it I can't advise about that but I really would suggest going to the :bf: group on Monday and take up Annettes offer to have Isabelle. They will be able to help you with the latch and will also have more advice re the reflux and :bf:

I had a really hard time feeding with William and it transpired he had lots of intolerances but the first sign we had really was that he was losing weight even though he was almost constantly feeding.

It is a myth that :bf: is easy. It isn't. Some people take to it like a fish to water and for others it is an ongoing battle.

Never feel guilty if you stop :bf: . I always say that if you can :bf: for just 24 hours then you have given your lo the bestest possible start and if you continue then that is brilliant.

Don't think I have helped at all really but hope you can get it sorted :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:20 pm

I think I feel sillier as I fed Isabelle until she was 2.5yrs!

Next

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning