hf1

BF Encouragement needed please!

My avatar
Ruth
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

BF Encouragement needed please!

Postby Ruth » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:25 pm

I think I can safely say Stan's got reflux. I'm feeling really down today. After chatting to Steph last night I decided to cut dairy out of my diet & see how things go. But then I was chatting to DH who said "I'd be interested to see how he'd take to a bottle". I stuck to my guns & had a big rant at him about how I need to work out the problem & can't just switch him to formula as it might make it worse. He started saying that maybe there is something in my system that Stan doesn't like (erm.. maybe dairy?!!!!), but he thinks that I have gone mad deciding to cut dairy out! :cry: Being his ever supportive self! The only good thing is that when he is against something it usually spurs me on :lol:

But if any of you have any facts on bf & reflux please let me know! It will strengthen my argument?! :D

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: BF Encouragement needed please!

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:32 pm

Can't really help with the reflux but I have been told that formula can make babies consipated so I would just tell your OH that, at least he's only got problems at one end atm, does your OH really want him to be having trouble at both ends? :hug: :hug: :hug: for you both and well done you for sticking to your guns!!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:38 pm

If the reflux is caused by cow's milk protein intolerance (you'll know if cutting dairy helps), putting him on formula will only make it worse. You'd have to get special formula prescribed from the Dr to help that type of reflux.

My DD just used to chuck up because her stomach couldn't process the food fast enough, so she had meds to help it go through her gut. No problems with dairy here, so formula didn't make any difference to her (I had problems with BF'ing anyway, so gave up after 3 weeks).

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:23 pm

my 3rd son (i have 4!) was bottlefed and had reflux and it was horrible. i changed his formula a million times and it never made any difference, plus he was gulping in air with the bottle which gave him tummy ache and throw up even more!
i'm bf ing daniel and he has reflux, and tbh he is'nt really bothered about it. its more me being bothered about being covered in puke 24/7
and when he was smaller cutting out dairy did seem to help and not eating anything really spicy.
Either way, if there bf or bottlefed if they have reflux then changing is'nt going to make a difference

My avatar
Cadiva
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Cadiva » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Tell him if he's got reflux it won't matter what he's drinking, he'll still be vomiting it back up again! What I did with James was to try and feed him as upright as possible and then keep him upright for at least 15 minutes after he'd fed as that helped a great deal. He would be sick up to an hour after he'd fed so you can imagine what a nightmare that was!
Fortunately he grew out of it at four months old which is when we develop some sort of bacteria in the gut which helps break proteins and other things down apparently.

Good luck!

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:18 pm

Cadiva wrote:Tell him if he's got reflux it won't matter what he's drinking, he'll still be vomiting it back up again! What I did with James was to try and feed him as upright as possible and then keep him upright for at least 15 minutes after he'd fed as that helped a great deal.

The above helped with Blake too, except he would still be vomitting right up to his next feed. It was never ending, but seemingly painless for him.

I breastfed up until he was 4 months old - the change to formula didn't help/worsen the reflux at all. It finally stopped when he was 7 months old and on a lot of solids.

Oh and his bumbo seat made it so much worse, he could projectile puke a load at a time in that thing (sorry for tmi!).

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rachel » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:36 pm

Not really sure about the reflux thing, although Evie was a very pukey baby and would do a lot between feeds, so maybe it was reflux?? Anyway, just wanted to say, if you really want to continue bfing then stick to your guns hun!
If, as people have said ff will not make any difference to reflux then there would be no point anyway, and it would be something completely new for his little tummy to get used to. You could always try and eliminate some dairy for a couple of weeks and see what difference it makes. Also the feeding upright thing is good advice. Do you have somethuing he can sit in after a feed to keep him upright?
:hug: :hug:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm

Breastfeeding is far better than formula feeding for babies with reflux. Breastfed babies generally have shorter and less severe reflux episodes than formula fed babies and also are more settled at night. Breastmilk is more easily digested than formula milk too. Switching to formula either won't make a difference or more than likely will make it worse. Have a read of this.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Louise wrote:Breastfeeding is far better than formula feeding for babies with reflux. Breastfed babies generally have shorter and less severe reflux episodes than formula fed babies and also are more settled at night. Breastmilk is more easily digested than formula milk too. Switching to formula either won't make a difference or more than likely will make it worse. Have a read of this.

WSS, from what I've seen of my friends who FF their refluxy babies, they are loads worse than their BF counterparts, and solids have made no difference either. A reflux baby will have reflux no matter what they're fed. And potentially changing to formula may make him more unsettled and cause worse problems. Breast milk is better for his reflux by far.
:hug: for having to stand your ground on this :evil: Please don't let him make you feel you should give up.

Next

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning