hf1

Worried about Choking...

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Worried about Choking...

Postby HannahBanana » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:14 pm

Quite often I here people say "what about choking" more often then not when someone says "my baby choked" it is gagging. I didn't know the difference until I researched it so thought I'd share it with you also, hopefully put your minds at rest!

Gagging

We all have a gag reflex it's a lifelong automatic response that helps prevent choking. Until your baby's around 6 months old, he also has a reflex that causes him to thrust his tongue forward whenever the back of his throat is stimulated.

This tongue-thrust reflex can make early feedings a bit of a challenge. Gagging on or pushing out those first spoonfuls of puree isn't uncommon.

Pushing your baby to eat more can cause him to gag and the same for having too much food in his mouth, even after the tongue-thrust reflex is gone.

Some babies will even gag on their own fingers until they figure out how far they can put things in their mouths.

On the following link, scroll to the bottom of the page for the fact on gag reflex http://www.babycareadvice.com/babycare/ ... .php?id=41

Choking

Choking is a clear obstruction of the airways that can prevent breathing.

The only thing that my DD has remotely choked on was a piece of apple which I later found out is quite common.

It is easy to detect as your child or baby will get very panicky.

Here is a link that has some tips on avoiding choking in babies and children.

Hope it helps

*http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=21618*

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Worried about Choking...

Postby smilinglou » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:52 pm

I gave my little girl Dentinox colic drops, she screams as soon as it touches her tongue, but then sometimes it seems to hit the back of her throat, her eyes looked terrified like I've never seen a baby look like before and she went red then screamed, it made me cry and I really think she choked on it even though it's fluid it is quite thick, plus I tried some and it actually burns my tongue :evil: really mad about this, she doesn't have that anymore. :cry:
Not sure if it was choking but I won't forget that look on her face :(

My avatar
freckleonear
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Worried about Choking.

Postby freckleonear » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:08 pm

As a general rule, real choking is silent.

My avatar
dippydee
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Worried about Choking.

Postby dippydee » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:36 pm

Thankyou so much for putting this up i have had so many people when ds was blw say he will choke and me having to tell them the difference between the 2 it was silly lol.
Thanks for highlighting what i have told my parents etc so many times now off to show them i was right :yahoo:

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning