June 2008 - Sponsored by Babykind

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

June 2008 - Sponsored by Babykind

Postby clothmama » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:53 pm

This months prize is sponsored by Babykind. You can see their website and more details of the nappy here:

http://www.babykind.co.uk/wonderoos.htm

The prize is Wonderoos Mini Sample Kit consisting of a Wonderoos one-size-fits-all pocket nappy with insert, two reusable wipes and a sample of soap pieces for making gentle wipe solution.

Big thanks to Babykind for the fantastic prize for this month!

Get writing everyone and get your articles in to be in with a chance to win another great prize!

Please read the rules before posting - they can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=627

Good luck and enjoy!

My avatar
redmum23
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: June 2008 - Sponsored by Babykind

Postby redmum23 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:03 pm

Okay - here goes - thanks for reading.....

Cloth Nappy Moments

The most hilarious moment was when my then 3 year old sat on the baby’s nappy bucket, thinking it was a seat. The lid shifted and his bottom went straight into the very cold water. He’s never looked so horrified – I’ve never laughed so much - sorry Joe! He is one happy boy there is no more soaking!

The grossest was when wrestling with a very dirty nappy and a very fidgety baby, I finally got it opened - with a little too much gusto – the contents hit target! Ergh. I am one happy mummy we now have aplix and poppers to simplify the putting on, and even better, the taking off!

The cutest moment was the very first time I put my beautiful boy into a beautiful big snuggly bamboo nappy – not looked back since!

The happiest moment was 24 hours later when his nappy rash had cleared up, at last, and hasn’t been back since!

The proudest when my five year old took over the conversation during a coffee morning at our house, explaining to the mums how GREAT cloth nappies are. We’re heroes, he says, saving our planet!

The angriest is actually often repeated! And that is when I get told how actually, there is no difference in the impact to the environment because of the energy… blah blah – is this excuse really so happily latched onto??? We all know the truth, but we don’t all like to admit to it!

With a baby who’s not really into sleeping, and a toddler who likes to rise with the birds, I am relieved to be able to at least get off to sleep easily, safe in the knowledge I am doing my heroin’s duty - in saving our planet, keeping my babies healthier and greener, and educating my eldest, just through bothering. Bothering that is to find a new passion, meet like minded mums, enjoy the diversity of the modern cloth nappy, and show it off. To anyone who will look, listen, or even appear mildly interested.

Now where’s my (Pure) soap box…..

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:19 pm

Hello everyone :)

Decided I'd try to write something for the competition, so here's my attempt! Hope it's not too lengthy! :oops: I know the lower limit is 300 words, but seems I've got up to 1160! I'll probably have put everyone to sleep! LOL

Enjoy! x

Husband Started it All!

Ever heard of one's husband being the cause of a cloth nappy habit? Well, believe it or not, it was my husband that got me into cloth! I'm sure I would never have dreamed of them otherwise - Pampers would have been getting a killing out of me! It all started long before we were married - he'd gone to a recycling/eco friendly day in the town and our local real nappy project had a table set up. It was there and then that he learned that cloth nappies didn't just mean big terries & pins! Yes, imagine - a single guy (who was an only child, at that!) interested in baby nappies! So, several years later when we were expecting our first baby he mentioned cloth and at first I thought "Oh no! Dunking dirty nappies in the toilet! Yuck!" However, as I started surfing the web, I got interested. I was initally scared off by the prices of single shaped nappies, so I thought I'd be frugal and go for prefolds - that's all I thought "cloth diapers" were when I was growing up in USA! Though I did remember when one of my siblings was born (about 15 years ago now, I think) that my grandma actually bought us a couple of all-in-one diapers. I haven't a clue what they were (nor more still, where she got them, or even why!). But we always had a few prefolds, pins, and plastic pants lying around somewhere - for the rare moments when we forgot to buy disposables and needed something quick! But my mom hated cloth diapers. She thought they were the way to go when I was born, but soon couldn't take all the buckets & dunking, so they were forever out for her subsequent 6 children - she obviously bought a lot of disposables!

Having decided Prefolds were the way to go, I started hunting for the best price on eBay. I soon came across someone who was closing down a business and had lots of brand new packages of Junior Joy prefolds. The listing was a dutch auction for about 30 packs (of 6 each) and starting price of 99p. Being a Dutch auction I realised that it would take quite a lot of interest to bring the opening bid up very high, so there was a good chance I might bag a bargain. So I bid for 6 packs (3 small and 3 large) and waited for the auction to end! The result was that, as I suspected, they went for peanuts! I got 6 packs for about £1.04 each!! I think my total purchase (including postage) was around £13 for 18 small, 18 large and a roll of disposable liners! I was delighted - I'd managed to get all the nappies I'd need for next to nothing. I soon picked up some Proraps (having been told they were the best for prefolds) and I was all set - just had to wait for my baby to be born!

Abigail arrived - on her due date too - however, weighing only 5lb 14oz, the smallest nappies & wraps I had just swallowed her! So, I had to get some disposables till she got bigger. At last, when she was 6 weeks old she could finally fit into the nappies I'd had washed & ready since before she was born. Everything went well - they were just perfect. For the next 15 months, my bargain stash of prefolds suited us just perfectly. I had to buy different sizes of wraps, but I had the nappies. Then, her brother Benjamin was born, and around the same time, Abigail started walking. Being quite petite, it was difficult to achieve the perfect fit on her nappies - she was really too big for medium Proraps, but not really big enough for large. As a result of the poor fit, now that she was walking, the nappy (being pad folded) was constantly falling down and as well as being uncomfortable and odd looking, was sometimes leaking as well.

Being a bit bigger at birth, Benjamin was able to fit into cloth nappies right away. However, he preferred to spend a lot of his time on his tummy, and being a boy as well, this meant lots of leaking nappies, lots of wet clothes, and a rather frustrated mummy! I was very glad that I had taken advantage of the offer for a £10 bucket of real nappies from our local cloth nappy scheme during my pregnancy with Benjamin. I got about 5 different nappies and 2 wraps and it opened up to me a whole new world of cloth nappies! Had I not had these nappies to try, I might have given up on cloth with my little boy - wet clothes multiple times a day is just too much to cope with when you have a toddler and a newborn! Although I'd previously thought Proraps were wonderful, when I tried the Motherease wraps in the kit, I realised I'd found something far more reliable! Also, the Tots Bots cotton nappy seemed to hold everything in and no leaks or wet clothes, so I set out to find shaped terry nappies & Motherease Airflow wraps.

I soon had a dozen Little Lamb seconds and various odds and ends that I'd picked up secondhand and several ME wraps. I thought that would be me set for a while, but having opened my eyes to the world of shaped nappies, I've never stopped looking! I don't usually go for anything overly expensive (still trying to be the frugal mum!), but I now have quite a collection of both shaped nappies and pockets. And the prefolds I got back in the beginning have been invaluable in stuffing pockets, so nothing's gone to waste. I think my husband probably has thought at times that I've gotten rather carried away with my interest in cloth nappies (always looking at secondhand ads, and still swapping nappies, after I decided I really didn't have the need to buy anymore!). But I'm sure he's grateful for all the money saved, as well as all the landfill space that's not been taken up with thousands of disposables.

So yes, it really was my husband that started it all! I know it's often the dads that don't want to use cloth because of the extra work & hassles, so to be fair, I must say that my husband doesn't actually change the nappies! He did want to learn about how to use them and changed several early on when I first started with prefolds. However, he gave up once I started making it complicated with different kinds of folds or different nappies & wraps - too much to learn, I guess! I still wonder if he'd actually go for cloth if he was the one cleaning out all the awful messy ones! But I don't mind - I'm still glad he got me into them - I'll always be a cloth mum!

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:48 pm

Soooo...will we be getting a poll sometime soon for last month's competition? ;-)

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:47 pm

I think everything's a bit up in the air with Tory's move to Oz. I'm sure it'll all be up and running ASAP :)

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:07 pm

and then they'll have been busy repairing the site aswell when its been hacked into - dont know how they find the time - must be super organised :babyroll: :babyroll:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:58 pm

Vote now ladies!! :mrgreen:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:16 pm

Congratulations Rachel!

Tory will be in touch about the prize once she's back up and running online - hopefully soon :)

Return to 2008 Monthly Article Competition