hf1

So im allergic to everything :(

My avatar
CharlottesClan
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

So im allergic to everything :(

Postby CharlottesClan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:09 pm

ive had this problem before, when im pregnant my skin breaks out in huge red blotches when it comes into contact with anything coloured/perfumed/chemically smelling

i desperatly need some sort of soaps and shampoos. i am making do with olive soap from holland and barretts which has reduced it but its not gone yet. it seems to foam up well so im dubious its 100% olive anyway. i also got a shampoo and conditioner from there and they have also reduced the redness (and how long the redness lasts) but not completely gone.

id be happy to try anything homemade (bicarb and something) but i dont know how to do it. also im sensitive to tea tree and lavendar and any type of mint even when im not pregnant they make me itch

i have sorted my clothes washing im just washing with water atm, teeny teeny bit of soap flakes if stained.

suggestions? not to pricey as i cant really afford it atm!

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: So im allergic to everything :(

Postby KimmyM » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:13 pm

No help sorry but I didn't wantto read and run. :hug: though that soy DS really nasty poor you hope you get it sorted soon.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug:

This might be a useful starting point

http://www.diaryofafirstchild.com/2011/04/05/chemical-free-cleaning-made-easy-the-3-basic-natural-cleaning-ingredients/

Or this

http://www.chemicalfreecleaningbook.com/chemical_free_cleaning_introduction.shtml

It is something I'd really like to do if I ever have the luxury of being even a part time SAHM

My avatar
cath
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby cath » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:44 pm

I used to do a bit of soap making & TBH, I wouldn't try it while pregnant as you have to use sodium hydroxide(caustic soda) which is pretty lethal stuff. I've had stuff from this lady before & it is great, and AFAIK it is all natural. http://www.thesoapycauldron.co.uk She also has a FB page so you would be able to ask her on there what would be the best for you to try. Hope it settles soon for you :hug:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:34 pm

The link that Cath posted isn't all that natural. There are chemicals that are "naturally derived" as well so you have to be careful.

I'm a soap maker. Olive oil soap will lather quite well so I wouldn't be worried about it. If olive oil is the only listed ingredient then that's all that's in it.

If you have a local health shop (other than holland & barrett) or health food shop, have a look for Dr.Bronner's liquid soap. It is very similar to the liquid soap I make & only has oils in it. You can use it for everything. Washing hands, hair (although you need to look up info on washing your hair with soap as there is a change over period while your hair adjusts), body, you can put a little bit into the washing machine with your clothes. I also use 2 squirts in a bottle with water & some vinegar as my cleaner. It is quite expensive but bear in mind that oils cost alot more than chemicals so you are paying for quality.

Return to Natural Living and the Environment