Home made washing powder

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Home made washing powder

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:00 am

I'm so tempted to give this a go.

How did the dishwasher powder work out??

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:09 am

docmaggoo wrote:I'm so tempted to give this a go.

How did the dishwasher powder work out??

Honestly not so great, we have gone back to using bought stuff. It was fine for a couple of washes (I'm guessign there was build up maybe?) and probably OK for light washes but I'm not sure they were great on glasses and cleaning power not up to scratch!

The washing powder - honestly try it, really good, we will always use it now. If I'm worried about something needing a bit more omph I just add a scoop of commercial soaker / Vanish stuff. Apparently for some reason (I can't remember :doh: :pregnant: )- build up or something I read about not the best for nappies so will be getting some OMO for them!

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:20 am

MrC wrote:@Bernadette I just did a load and measured the tablespoons for you. Our measurer looks smaller than it is. It actually take 5 tablespoons to fill it rather than two. We use 1 whole scoop.

Thankyou agaian @MrC!

Wow you are a good hubby. I don't think mine has turned on the washing machine since we came home. I did point out the other week that it was the same one we had in the UK so he should know how to use it!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Sme here dishwasher powder was poo after a while so back to the shop bought for us too

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:31 pm

littlesez wrote:Sme here dishwasher powder was poo after a while so back to the shop bought for us too

Good to know!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

My plumber said that pretty much any powder causes build up and that the liquid tabs style ones are best

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Postby MrC » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:08 pm

Bernadette wrote:Thankyou agaian @MrC!

Wow you are a good hubby. I don't think mine has turned on the washing machine since we came home. I did point out the other week that it was the same one we had in the UK so he should know how to use it!

You're very welcome :) I guess with madam away most days things might get pretty whiffy otherwise :)

To prevent the build up of I check the filters and run a hot wash reasonably regularly. Usually everything goes in at 30 degrees and our machine manages to clean pretty well at that. With the odd hot wash it doesn't get gunked at all. Really happy with it as it uses so little electricity and water.

The dish washer is a different matter. We've got a horrible indesit/whirlpool clone plumbed in at the moment and it will hardly clean anything properly regardless of the tablet / powder. Increasing the citric acid in the mixture helped but we could only find citric acid for cooking which got a little expensive. It would be good to find a bulk source to experiment with. The Bosch we had before was much better even using the cheapo tablets.

Same story with dishwashers, if you run a hotter wash regularly it will help to clear the build up. Vinegar helps, especially in hard water areas. I also take the spinny things off and empty them from time to time, it's amazing what gets in there and once they're blocked they won't even spin let alone clean.

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 am

Just browsing homemade washingpowder recipes and I've finally found a few without borax that I wanna try.
Does everyone still uses homemade?

My recipe looks like this, need to order the ingredients so haven't tried yet.

Castille soap (grated)
Baking soda
Washing soda
Epsomsalt

or

Grated soap
Washing soda
Baking soda
Citric acid
Seasalt

What do you think?

Oh and I was wondering if using a Nestle Dante soap will work, they smell so good and well I still have a few....

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed May 18, 2016 8:01 am

I want to start using it again - I've not tried without borax but apparently that is what you need for cloth nappies if you want to make your own detergent so I'll be really interested to hear how you get on @MissFrodo I'm not sure what supplies I can get in store here so may also need to order online.

MissFrodo wrote:Oh and I was wondering if using a Nestle Dante soap will work, they smell so good and well I still have a few....
Not sure about that soap - I personally wouldn't use it as I try to avoid all Nestle products unless there are no alternatives (like KitKats :oops: :oops: ). We have always used the cheap old fashioned laundry soaps and added essential oils to get a nice smell. If you want to get rid of them then it is worth a try but maybe just do a small batch not a huge one to check it works OK. I've not heard of this soap so not even sure what it is. HTHS

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Living and the Environment